do you think this is excessive?

my son is in kindergarten in public school but i seems like we have spent a fortune in "school and classroom supplies". on the first day of school the teacher sent home a list of "classroom supplies" that was mandatory and had to be brought in by monday of the next week. and i swear to you it cost a $150. on the list were things like: 10 boxes 25 count crayons (they had to be crayola), 10 bottles elmer's white glue, 5 pkg. 100 count brown lunch bags, 5 rolls white paper towel, 5 pkg 3x5 index cards, paper plates, baby wipes, hand sanitzer, the list went on and on, plus we had to send $5 for extras. at the time i thought no big deal this is for the whole school year, right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• continued:

wrong, every couple of weeks their is a new list of things they have to have for this project or that activity. or they have run out of paper towels, kleenex, baby wipes; it never ends. i just want to know is this normal? i only have one child and i'm an only child, so i don't have any references in this area.

sorry it's so long. and thank you for reading.
    Anonymous

• wow in our kindergarten we only have to supply for our kids but alot gets pooled in from mine and others like tissue, crayons, markers they share for the whole year. But I think that is too much for us to pay. I have 3 in school and I only paid a total of 65.00 for all three for supplies.
    momof5kidz

Answer by momof5kidz at 10:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• We had a long list fthat was similiar to yours for our son's class too-didn't have to provide any TP though lol. Our list was for the whole year. Every once in a while the teacher will send a letter home stating that they ran out of this or that and asks if somebody could pick it up! So yeah your list sounds very excessive!!
    Anonymous

• My stepson gets a list before the beginning of the school year. We buy everything on the list (about $100-$150). We don't get lists after that though. I think it is excessive that we have to buy anything at all. I never had to buy anything other than notebooks for taking notes when I was in school. That was it. Why do we now have to stock the classrooms for the teacher's every year? I definatly think that it is excessive that you keep getting lists through out the year.
    Anonymous

• OMG..... I bought tissues 4 boxes each child, 2x every year for two kids (combined 24 years) Well I lie... When the boys were in 10th and 12th grade I called the school and announced how many individual boxes of tissue I had supplied the school with and basically told them to kiss my a**. Drove me crazy. And yes, every year new binders... one per class (usually 5-7) at $6-10 a pop), crayons, dividers, markers, water color pencils, x number of packs of refill paper, index cards, then there's the scientific calculators that cost anywhere from $30-60 (or more) that just got stolen. I was so glad to send the school district a goodbye card when my youngest graduated.... and I did.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• This is very excessive. Many years ago schools began supplying the things kids need. The new teacher every year sends notes home for extras that kids may want, but the basics are supposed to be supplied by the school.
    LoriW

Answer by LoriW at 11:10 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• When I was in school I got one box of crayons for the whole school year...why does your child and every other child have to bring in TEN boxes? Glue can be 3 for a $1 but 10 for your child? Glue lasts a LONG time.

Ours got a list beginning of the year saying everyone shared and bring in what you can. I brought in a couple bags of stuff then and just sent in a couple of bags right after Christmas break. Occasionally there is other stuff but once a month, if that. There was optional bake sale for school festival, donate stuff for a gift basket auction, and a few small items for "stockings" for the kids at Christmas. I figure that's pretty decent.

I heard once that a lot of teachers overstock and then take what's leftover for themselves at the end of the year. Cheap b*********.
    Anonymous

• My kids go to Catholic school like I did as a kid so their school supply list was similar to the ones I had as a kid. Only problem is I have 3 kids in school (my parents only had 2). It cost a fortune and I bought the cheapest I could find of each thing. My kindergartener alone needed 6 rolls of paper towels, plus another 4 or so for my other kids. It was crazy. I'm not sure if the pool the supplies in kindergarten but I know my older kids use the supplies they bring.
    When my oldest was in kindergarten she went to a public school in another state and everything was provided by the school. All she needed was a book bag and a pencil box. That was nice.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• What the HECK???????????? That is ridiculous. Is your school district ready to claim bankruptcy? There is no way that a class room of 20 kids needs to buy that much stuff. What in the world do they need 10 bottles of glue apiece for? If everyone buys 10 thats 200 bottles of glue ROFLLLLLL. Are they eating it for snack??? And 10 boxes of crayons. Are you all going to get the excess back at the end of the year? We have never been asked for that. WE get notes home about donating lysol and hand sanitizer but nothing like you listed. Teachers get a budget. Sounds like your teacher went over board. I would be happy to provide my daughter whatever she needs but I refuse to pay for the whole class. We simply cannot afford it.

mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Budgets are being cut in the most important places: schools and education. However, I still find this strange. When I was in school (and I'm only 23) we were only required to provide what we would need for ourselves. I went to a small private school and everything basically had to be 100% tuition or parent funded. Our school sought donations for art supplies and when we needed tissues we brought them in a box at a time as needed.  I don't see the need for one parent to supply the entire classroom with anything it might need for an entire year.  On the other hand, if your children attend public school...that's really all your paying for.   Because of my own life circumstances, I feel more badly for parents, like my parents, who paid private school tuition but still had to pay the public school tax for an education their child didn't even use.

NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2009