how can i?

So when my DD first came home from the hospital she would only sleep with me. (i know i know im screwed now) but now she is doing well with sleeping and it seems like she likes knowing im there but doesnt necessarily want me to hold her. I would like to start transitioning her to her crib (shes almost 7 mos) but 2 things are holding me back. 1) i have trouble sleeping when she is not with me (although i dont really sleep cause she kicks like crazy!) and 2) Im TERRIFIED that SIDS will get her if she sleeps there....any adivice??please dont bash but help if you can!

Kennadismom

Asked by Kennadismom at 10:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Invest in an Angel Care monitor. There is a sensor pad that goes under the crib mattress and monitors breathing movements. If no motion is detected for 20 seconds an alarm goes off and wakes you and baby up. There is also a tick feature you can turn on where the hand held actually makes a ticking sound for every movement baby makes. I found it really put my mind at ease. Also, since your baby is 7 mo...she is already past the worst of the SIDS risk. You may find that she sleeps better in her own crib.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:47 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• SIDS usually happens before 6months. If you choose to put her in a crib make sure there are no stuffed animals, bumber pads or heavy quilts in the crib. Good Luck!

Ultimately it is up to you.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 10:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Keep her in bed with you. :) We co-sleep and have since my son was born. I wouldn't be able to sleep with my baby in another room either. Check out these links on the benefits of co-sleeping:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/handout1.asp

PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 10:49 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• Ahh!! I just went through/am going through the same EXACT thing except that my son is 5 1/2 months. I started on Monday and I have to tell you I did not sleep a WINK that first night it was so hard. All I can say is when you do finally make the move stick to it. It will be really hard but you don't want to send any mixed messages to her. That's what took me so long with my son. He didn't sleep in my bed (well actually sometimes he did) but he slept in a co-sleeper which was right next to me on my side of the bed. I left that there and I sleep better with it in place then I did when I moved it that first night. Message me if you want to commiserate! It's hard but you can do it!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• the angle care monitors are pretty cool, i wish i'd had one for my son rather than getting up 500 times a night to check on him. :) I dont think the risk of SIDS is any greater in her crib than in your bed, and she's past the biggest risk stage anyway. Good luck!
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• The highest risk for SIDS is between 4 and 6 months. You're past that now. Can she roll over both ways on her own? You are really past it.
    The Angel Care monitor is great though. My daughter would NOT sleep on her back or side - no matter what I tried - so I had to let her sleep on her tummy so she'd get SOME sleep. I still use the monitor if I am worried for some reason (she's 2.5 years). It just helps ease my mind. I'll probably also use it when I move her to a toddler bed... if it goes off, I'll know she snuck out of bed!

And don't worry about co-sleeping. Some people say it's bad. Some say it's great. All that really matters is that it worked for YOU.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009