• In the Spotlight:

If TV is bad for babies...

I learned tv is bad for babies under age 2...my 3 month old seems to enjoy it a lot and doesn't watch more than an hr a day...but i hear it slows language development and such...what else can i do with my baby instead of letting him watch tv? what can entertain him? what is educational for him?

JulesMommy1008

Asked by JulesMommy1008 at 11:30 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Read, read and read some more:) Sing to him! Talk to him!
    Anonymous

• i never heard that we had those movies by baby enstien my son loved those and he has been talking for along time and makes long sentences at 2 i dont think it is bad
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• TV is not a Devil in a box.. My 5 month old is Developing fine and he watches tv with me all the time.... But I do talk to him and play with him 95% of the day but if theres a show on i want to watch and hes not asleep and doesn't want to play and just wants to sit on my lap... Im not gonna make him not look at the tv... A little bit is fine but if u sit them there all day and they get no other interaction ya its gonna mess them up a little but 1 hr a day isn't gonna affect them that bad!
    apeclark2008

Answer by apeclark2008 at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• An hour a day? That's an awful lot for an infant. Your child wont learn to use their imagination as well as they could if they watch too much TV, their more at risk for obesity, and laziness of course. TV is not GOOD for anybody, it makes it harder to get good sleep (for your baby too), and it over-stimulates the brain, ESPECIALLY in babies. I've never let my LO watch TV, and once I get out of my parents house I plan to never have cable, and just occasionally treat her with a movie.

Dont worry though, there are lots of other things you can do with your baby. Reading is VERY good for their brain, and since he's only 3 months, he probably isnt getting bored TOO easily. You can let him feel different textures, smell different scents, just stimulate his senses, but not TOO much, it's easy to over-stimulate a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009