circumcision freak out...please please help!

I am a new mom and a just got back from the dr and they circumcised my week old son. I am so so so afraid of it! I changed him and it is so huge, swollen, and red. And when he cries I am so paranoid he is in horrible pain. What can I do to help him and to feel more at ease???
Please no put downs or lectures of why I should have not done it, I feel horrible as it is.... Thanks!!!

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 11:34 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• oh i feel your pain, my poor baby went through the same thing. what i did was make sure i gave him tylenol and kept giving it to him for the first like 12 hours like every 3 1/2 hours so that it kicks in before the last dose wears off. then the cream ( i think its some sort of antibiotic ointment, the doctor should tell you) well put the cream stuff on a piece of gauze, like a lot of it so his pee pee doesnt stick to it and the gauze will protect it from the diaper, because its really sad when the sore pee pee dries to the diaper:( good luck with your new sweet baby boy! oh and it might take a couple weeks to heal....
    havingaboy08

Answer by havingaboy08 at 2:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• just follow the directions of your dr.... :( poor guy i hope he feels better soon!!!
    Anonymous

• The swelling should go down soon. If not take him back in. Did the doctor say you could give him Tylenol for pain? Do you have a male around that could do the care? Make sure to do what they told you for follow up care. Make sure he is peeing and doesn't go to long without a wet diaper, and change diapers as soon as possible when they are wet/have a bm. Don't panic, if you need more instructions or don't feel comfortable I would take him back to the Pedi and have a nurse go over it again.
    NiHao

Answer by NiHao at 11:40 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• he s not iin much pain they told us that in those few weeks of life that cant feel much down there was he cut or did he have the bell thing done. my son had the bell thing done and it gave us no problems. good luck
    Wyattsmom205

Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• HE WAS CUT.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 11:48 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I felt the same way with my little man. As long as you keep the petroleum jelly on it and change his diapers often, he'll be okay. Whatever you do don't wash it with anything. Any kind of soap or even sing wipes on it right now will hurt. All he need right now is the jelly. Good luck!
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 12:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• surpirisingly he'll be ok within just a few days time! my son was really upset at first also. just keep vaseline on it and you'll be just fine. just be careful! lol
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 1:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• When my son was cir. I found it was easier to put the vaseline or whatever your using directly on the diaper kinda thick so it won't stick to the diaper when you go to change him. He will probably leak some diapers but this helped alot.
    DJMsmom

Answer by DJMsmom at 4:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i know someone who didnt do and and the now teenager wishes his mom would of had it done,i gess it looks realy nasty when there all grown up.just talk to him and take his mind off the pain,he will forget about it
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:41 AM on Jan. 17, 2009