Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats the difference from sueing and pressing charges?

i'm the one that asked the question about what I should do to my mil for getting a loan under my husbands identity without his authority, and I wanted to know whats the difference from sueing her and pressing charges? can I do both? or is it more expensive? will the pressing charges make her pay us too?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (4)
  • pressing charges is police bussiness you go to court and they could make her pay or she could go to jail. what she did was breaking the law. Sueing her is getting your money back that she got in your dh name. Depends on how much you hate her for what she did lol good luck

    Answer by Wyattsmom205 at 11:39 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

  • You can't do anything. Your husband will have to. He should actually do both, first of all, by pressing criminal charges against the mother-in-law (his mother) about forging paperwork in his name, and then by suing him for any damages in civil court.

    Chances are, it's probably a lost cause to sue her, because she' s probably too broke to afford to pay damages. Good luck

    Answer by sizesmith at 11:41 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

  • one is civil (sueing) and one is criminal (pressing charges). Sueing requires a lawyer to sue her for damages done to your husband and his credit. Criminal is a crime against the state and you do not have to pay for the attorney. The state prosecuting attorney is the lawyer against her for committing a crime. some criminal cases can be reimbursed for losses as a "victim". You'd have to ask the P.A.'s office if you qualify for victim restitution.

    Answer by admckenzie at 11:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

  • Exactly what admckenzie said plus: In this case you will have to file a complaint with the Police. If they can prove it then she will be arrested. In order to sue her for the damages she will have to be convicted by the criminal court. In this case you will most likely be able to collect victims restitution instead of suing her in civil court. If it were me I would have your husband file a complaint with the Police, especially if you have proof. This is how it is in most states. good luck

    Answer by JD08 at 11:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.