i help him get a car do u think i did right?

the loan is in my name but he pays for it, his name is in the title too, but now that we are not about to get marry any time, i told him that he should get the car under him name. that is his only car. i felt that i have to lie to him and said that i have to help my parents and get a loan.in order for him to do that. he said that it is not right that i want to do that because that car was for both of us. and now u do not want to have responsiblility. do u think he has the right to say that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Relationships

• oh no... i have done the same thing for an ex bf. never ever do it!!! He was unable to get a loan for a truck that he needed in order to go to work cause of bad credit. I thought i would be nice and get a loan in my name so he could get it. We broke up three months later and he took the truck(i didn't want or need it) However, now every single time he is late on his payment I GET A CALL from the bank. Technically, Im responsible for it although it isn't in my possession. I have asked and asked him to get a loan in his own name to pay off the current one. still hasn't done so and taht was almost three years ago!! im so worried about my credit and there really isn't anything i can do about it!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• personally, i wouldn't have signed my name to another person's loan unless we were married. remember, if he misses payments, the bank will come to you..and it will be your responsibility. i think if you are breaking up, or you distrust his ability to make payments, by all means, undo the loan.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 11:54 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• If I am reading this right you signed for a loan to buy him a car and you put the car title in his name? Basically if he quits paying on the car you are the only one responsible for the payments. Are you wanting him to get a loan and pay off the one you took out which would make him financially responsible for the car? If so, I think that's only fair. If he is driving it then he should have the loan in his name and be responsible for it. Who's name is the insurance under?

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I don't think it's possible to "undo" a loan on a car but you could call your lending institution and ask.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:56 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• cont...to answer your question, you shouldn't at all feel bad for wanting your name off of the loan. don't let him make you think that you are wrong. you have a right to be worried even if he is making the payments at the moment. anything could happen that could change that and then you are the only one responsible for them. Is the vehicle just for him or do you drive it as well? i had a little trouble understanding your last sentence.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2009