probably a stupid question, but here goes...

Im just curios as to why we can have sex the whole time we are pregnant with no complications (well most of us anyway) and yet when we want to help move labor along we are told to have sex... it just doesnt make any sense to me... couldnt the sex and semen bring on premature labor? But it usually doesnt right........ so why does it help bring on labor when you are full term?? Im just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it will only work when your cervix is ready and softened. this doesnt usually occur until the last few weeks of pregnancy. some cases it can be earlier and sure it can bring it on but it isnt usual.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 11:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• no such thing as a stupid question :o).The chemicals of the cervix change at the end of pregnancy so the semen AT THAT POINT can mix w/them and cause it to open more.That is what my doc told me when I asked during 1st prgnancy.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:46 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• I think I get the gest of the question. It depends on what your issue is while pregnant, bleeding, history of miscarriages, no or shortening cervix, etc usually they tell you no sex until you are out of the woods. If you have a healthy pregnancy then you can have sex all the way up until you due and then still does not send some women into labor. BUT it also needs to take into account other thing that go along with sex. Semen has prostaglandins. Prostaglandins cause the cervix to soften.
    NiHao

Answer by NiHao at 11:52 PM on Jan. 15, 2009

• That's prolly why you had to say that MOST people can have sex their whole pregnancy, I'd imagine if you started having signs of preterm labor, your doctor would tell you to lay off sex :)
    xxPaulaxx

Answer by xxPaulaxx at 5:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009