Medical discharge from Navy

So my husband has been in the Navy for 8 years. He's an AE, and has already had surgery in one knee. they refused to look at it until it got to the point of oh it needs surgery, they just kept giving him Motrin. His other knee at the time the surgery was done, was feeling the same pains as his operated one, yeah they wont look into it right now either. So his operated knee is going bad again. He is thinking they will medically discharge him, because it will be twice now same knee same problem and it will need operation because its the same thing he felt, plus his other knee going bad. On top of this he has chronic migraines that they have him on a ton of pills for, and he's starting to feel carpultunnel (sp?). I have a friend who used to be in the Navy and her uncle was refused medical discharge because knee's I guess they don't give out medical discharge for. she also experienced the same ordeal, they told her they dont give medical for knee's is this true? Are we screwed in any way of getting financial help for my hubbies busted up knees?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:15 PM on Jan. 30, 2012 in Military

• Military is cutting back
    Anonymous

• I think it depends on if it affects his work.
    I know someone that got a medical discharge for pregnancy.
    If they did discharge him, he would most likely qualify as a disabled vet. They won't just drop his treatment, in fact it may get better. The VA hospitals around me are great.
    Anonymous

• If its bad enough he can get med boarded out. The VA will determine what percentage compensation he will receive.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• Yeah they are cutting back, and kicking out. ALl the people I know who are up for reenlistment are being refused to reenlist. A few couples husbands were not allowed to take the test to advance them for 3rd, 2nd and 1st class. No reason given. Weird though, neighbors hubby was on the kick out list they just did, well he was told he can reenlist now if he wants to. He was really looking forward to that check too. A friends husband who is a stockier built person, always has a hard time with the prt's. He's got some fluff to him but he's skinnier then half the higher ups. He's tall and thick built. He always starves himself ( liquids only ) for a month the last week before prt, he takes diuretics and gets that $200 weightloss wrap and when he goes in for measuring he puts saran wrap around his waist. It's sad to see him do this every 6 months...just because he's built differently then th rest of us.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• He was put through 6 more measurements all because he is so close to retirements, less then a year now. When prt started he was measured and told to go do his running and stuff, when he is done he gets approached and asked who measured him. Well durp that's not HIS job! So he of course says idk, and gets remeasured on the spot, the guy doing it measured him almost an inch bigger then what was written down, erased the previous notes and re wrote it and said he was over his allowable measurement and would have to be remeasured. Of course each time he was remeasured he was at a different measurement. Also he was ACCUSED of writing in his own measurements, I'm assuming over what the guy who erased and rewrote did. His last measurement was in a room full of chiefs, all trying to tell him to just fess up that he wrote in his own measurements...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• I spent 12 years fighting the tape. Everything he did, I tried at one time to make tape. It's now prohibited to do that per the PFA standards. I hate the measurements. Five people can tape someone and come up with five different things. Sounds like the chiefs were trying to intimidate the guy because in my years in the navy, nobody is weighed and taped on the spot. I think that is against regs and there has to be a certain amount of notice before any BCA. Sounds like the CFLs at the command are either not competent or not certified because that is a by the book position. The guy you are talking about must be teetering and has prior failures. I don't know the whole story, just trying to make sense.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 8:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2012