Should I be her guardian??

My DH and i have talked about this for weeks, he is getting a better job and we will be able to afford a 2 if not 3 bedroom apartment which means we will have more room in our new home
I have a 13yr old cousin who lives in Mexico with her parents but she is an American citizen her parents are not. My HD and i think we should bring her to live with us so she can get a better education and have a better future i know i can convince her parents to let her live with us but
I really want \need some opinions on this
I am 20 my DH is 22 and our DD is 4

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2012 in Adoption

• I think that unless she is in danger, she should be with her mother. Once she's an adult she can decide where she wants to live and what further education she wants. Her parents are the one's that should be giving her values, memories, and her childhood. 

onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 4:19 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• A 13-year-old separated from her parents is going to be really needy. I think you need to be really sure you're up to giving her what she'll need, since offering her a home and then taking it away if things get a little rocky would be really unfair to her.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 5:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• its best to be taken from her parents? You eveidentally haven't been involved in any type of foster care /adoption etc. UNLESS she is abused sna neglected then NO you need to leave that child alone. When she is ready for college then she can make that choice. Just because you adn her dad feel its best does not mean it is unless of course she wants to. If you make the choice fro her your life is gonna be hell and so will hers.
    Anonymous

• I agree with above. A teen is going to be a lot so you wan to be sure to be committed.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 5:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• you think you should .....what do her parents think? Are they asking for this or are you assuming they are just going to hand her over???
    Anonymous

• This is a very personal family decision. If she AND her mother and father feel this is a good option AND you are financially capable of taking care of her as you would your own child then you should do it. DO expect there to be bumpy roads. She will miss her family and friends. She may miss her culture. Does she already speak fluent English? This could also be a struggle. All of this tied into normal teenage hormones and emotions. If you do decide to take her make sure you go through all the right channels and have a back up plan if SHE decides she wants to go home. She is 13 and should have quite a bit of say in this decision.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• her father had prev asked my mom is she could care for her so she could attended school here but her older brother was already living with us at the time and my mom thought she was to young
    as for her father i know he would be on board but her mother im not so sure she would take a bit more hesitant about it but i believe its best for my lil cousin to come live in the states rather than keep living im Mexico
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2012

• No, please leave her alone!
    iwicked

Answer by iwicked at 2:33 AM on Feb. 3, 2012

• I think that unless she is in danger, she should be with her mothe
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 11:19 AM on Feb. 9, 2012

• No.
    FreeForAll

Answer by FreeForAll at 5:11 PM on Jan. 30, 2012