If you speak another language...how often do you speak with your child in that particular language? Do you use that language more than english?

Romansmami0412

Asked by Romansmami0412 at 11:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2009 in General Parenting

• I use ASL with my 15 month old. When we're the only ones home (I'm a SAHM), I only use ASL. When DH comes home, we use both. He learns as she picks it up. I'd say all in all, ASL is the primary language in our house.
    KaroGreenly

Answer by KaroGreenly at 12:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• We use both English and Spanish in the house. I would say they are used very evenly.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 12:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I just asked a specialist this question in regard to english and spanish. Their response was that you should speak the number 1 language most to your child and only incorporate a few words of your second language until about 3 years of age. The reason, they said, was that children are learning so much while they are young that if you mix two languages, you could possibly cause them to have social delays where they have problems with talking and comprehending the languages. It's sort of like nipple confusion, only with language. (You know, if you give a baby the paci to soon, they can get the nipple confusion between the paci and breasts) That was enough for me to wait.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Speaking two languages, even at an early age, will NOT cause social delays. Whoever told you that is an idiot.

I grew up in a bilingual household, and my kids are growing up in a bilingual household.  There has never been any confusion related to that.  It's amazing how effortlessly you can switch from one to the other when you grow up in that kind of bilingual environment.  In fact, you want kids to learn languages sooner rather than later because they absorb the material like sponges.  It is much  harder to learn a second language after the age of 10-12, depending on the individual. 

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't see anything wrong with using both equally. But, if you want to divide it up, then speak English outside the home and your other language inside. That way you keep their sense of pride in their heritage, but they also get to use English.
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 4:01 PM on Jan. 16, 2009