What is considered neglect by CPS?

I know of a family who's house is over run by roaches and really disgusting. You cannot walk into it without pushing dirty clothes and/or trash out of the way. It is terrible. They have three kids. I am talking food on the floors, dirty dishes piled on every surface, & the smell of the rotten food is really nasty. You would not ever want to go to their bath room because you would have roaches crawling on you. I have seen this first hand. Would this be considered neglect? One of the kids also has a heart problem...could this filth make him more susceptible to getting sick? I don't want their kids taken away, but a wake up call would be necessary.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Health

• I think you should contact your local CPS and let them make the determination on whether or not it is neglect. Often they can provide help and resources to work with the family.
    Lisahi

Answer by Lisahi at 12:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i think their website can provide the best information for that. there at a LOT of things they consider neglect.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well I went there first and it wasn't very detailed. It didn't mention living in filth as neglect, but this is a disgusting place for the kids to live. I was wondering if anyone else had experience with it at all.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• oh... hmm what about looking up state laws for it?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes, that is a form of neglect especially if you say they have trash on the floor. The problem is that if you report them and they go in and the house is trashed like that they will remove the children. CPS has gotten very strict about this. The house can be dirty, but once you have trash and food on the floor and there is infestation of bugs they will remove the children. The parents aren't being responsible enough to clean up and discipline their children to pick up. There is no reason for any house to be that disgusting unless you are bedridden. Although as a foster parent myself I will have to say that the children go through alot, but perhaps it is better for them.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 12:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• And you can always contact CPS anonymously and ask them to do a well check on the house just to warn the family of their problem. They can make the decision to allow a certain amount of time for "total clean up" of the dwelling and go from there. My mother in law lives the EXACT same way and it is SOOO gross! I don't even go to the bathroom over there. And we don't eat over there anymore either because the house is so over populated by roaches! I feel your pain!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• filth is neglect . usually they would give the family a certain length of time to get things cleaned up and go back and check on them.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 2:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2009