English bulldog is taking steriods for an ear infection and I was told to not let her drink too much water or she will gain weight, so how much is too much?

Its a heat wave people! I can I deny my dog water? She's so thirsty, all night in the tub trying to turn the water on!!!! Poor puppy! When the vet said she'd be thirsty, I had no idea!!!! I didnt think it was going to be so hard. I gave her some water (unusual for midnight) but she's crying for more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Pets

• The drugs will make her very thirsty. I say give her water. You can always control the weight later. If you aren't sure, call the vet. Tell them your concern they will be able to tell you it's okay. If she is thirsty you don't want her to get dehydrated (sp). Call your vet!
    MomofTwins07

Answer by MomofTwins07 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Steriods will make your dog thirsty and please make sure that he or she does get the water. I work at a vets office snd have never heard of withholding water,
    Anonymous

• I did not think it was becasue of weight gain but aybe peeing everywhere. I agree it is hot out and she needs water.
    gamo

Answer by gamo at 10:12 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Who told you to not let her drink too much water or she will gain weight? Your vet? If so, then get a new vet. If it was one of the staff at the vet's office, tell the vet what their techs are saying. If it wasn't a medical professional, don't believe the lunatic who said this.

If your dog does gain any weight, it's water-weight, and she will urinate it out. Don't deprive her of water. Dogs don't get fat from drinking water. There are no calories in water! Let her have as much as she wants.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 10:00 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• the vet said it, dont let her drink too much water or she will gain weight
    molys

Answer by molys at 12:05 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

molys

• Try mixing some pedialyte in the water, that will help a lot with dehydration. Upi ask how much is too much? If your dog is puking from drinking too much that is too much, too fast. I had to teach mine to drink slower. English bulldogs are prone to obesity and that is what causes major health problems for them. But, I really do not see water being the problem with that breed. Just make sure she isn't eating a bunch of tablefood, is exercised regularly, and isn't overfed and you should be fine.
    TiffanyNTrista

Answer by TiffanyNTrista at 11:44 PM on Jul. 21, 2008

• You can give her water little bits at a time but don't fill a big bowl and let her gulp it down . I am the Admin in the Bulldog Lovers group and We would love to help you Look it up in the group and join .
    Mel

Answer by Mel at 12:20 PM on Jul. 30, 2008