another question regarding the Stomach Flu

due to my 15 month olds' stomach flu , he hasn't been eating b/c of his vomitting ... just fluids. it has been for 4 days going on 5 now, i just started today giving him bland foods in very small portions ( when he wanted to take it ) he doesn't want to eat much at all, he seems so drained and weak, he sleeps alottttt!. its starting to worry me even more! - he has lost soooooo much weight, what can i do so he feels better and eat? and one more thing when is it ok for me to start him back on his milk/pediasure again?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ginger biscuits are good for nibbling on and building bak an apetite and ridding you of nausea. but dont forget not eating is not a bad thing, it takes a lot of energy to digest food and by not eating much its conserving the energy the body need s to fight the infection. have you taken the baby to the doctors? loosing wieght must be a worry too, leave the milk alone till baby is in full health and try hydration drinks if you can.
    angelmomma2

Answer by angelmomma2 at 5:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have to try ginger biscuits I can honestly say I have never heard of them before. And yea I have taken him to the hospital and they weren't much of any help.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Until he stops puking, he's not going to want to eat. I know it's scary when they lose weight...my oldest dropped 5 pounds the last time he had rotavirus...and he really didn't have it to lose.

Once he's feeling better, he's not puking, he'll start eating. And he'll start making up for lost time, too! But if he's still puking, any food you give him is just going to come back up and hurt. Let his stomach rest. Stick to water. He has to get rid of the virus. He's sleeping because he's tired. His body is fighting this virus off...that takes energy. Let him rest. If he's gone 6 hours without puking offer him something that you KNOW is a favorite....um...as long as it's not a greasy burger. LOL His favorite bread, crackers, snack food, banana. If he only takes a bite or two, so be it.....

Keep in contact with your doctor. It's scary. I know. Been there, done that.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2009