I know that hand flapping, rocking and head banging can be normal "baby" things to do, but when do they out grow it? I have 2 on the spectrum and I worry about the 3rd!

She's 12 mo, walking, ahead developmentally, but still flapping, head banging, rocking and doing some behaviors that I would consider "stimming". And I know she's not picking them up from her brothers.

Asked by faeriemamma at 1:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• it is too early to test for autism (and i dont mean to scare you) but ask your doc if there would be a reason she is still doing this - i havent heard of it at this age.

Answer by vakatia at 2:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• As you Know Mel , its never too early to check. If you think there may be a problem , consult your doctor. It is very possible she is mimicking her brothers, but you do know that having two on the spectrum and being on it yourself , that its entirely possible. I hope she doesent fall on the spectrum, but if she does , I know you will handle it just like you handle your boys. Just keep watching her behaviors and keep your doc informed. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.

Answer by Mom2PunkRockers at 3:00 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• my son did the head rocking but later found that he had chronic ear infections and had to have tubes placed in his ears twice

Answer by crissy386 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I would definitely take her to the doctor. It's not too early, if there are signs, there are signs. Although they usually do present themselves at a later age. However, although girls are autistic at a much less rate than boys, when they do have it, they have it worse. Also, there is a better chance of a female having it if their brother has it. I would take her to a specialist, although it may be early, those things in combination would make me worry too. I hope it helps.

Answer by NomadSara at 4:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2008