ok im at my wits end.. my son is 13 and he studders, he gets teased at school adn by some of my hubbys family members.. I was wondering is there any other moms that have this problem?

what can I do? I have him in speech therepy. Is there something else that i can do?

Asked by Irishgirlx959 at 4:02 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Hello, you don't mention too much about his background. People who stutter may have auditory processing issues as well as any of the discrepancies mentioned above. Strategies you may use include: ask him to repeat what he said in a slower pace; perhaps some articulators exercises may help, such as releasing the jaw and move tongue in circular motion, tongue rolls, massage jaw hinge in front and behind his ears. These exercises may help him release some tension. What is most important, educate him about his differences and give him confidence. We are all different and we should celebrate our differences. Find and read together books about celebrities, inventors and other famous people with disabilities who have succeeded in spite of their impairments. This may help him with his self-esteem. He, however, has the responsibility to educate himself and others about his needs.

Answer by Mamaroo59 at 1:09 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• Awww, poor guy! I'm not really knowledgable about stuttering, but is it possible to pull him out of public school and homeschool him? He definately does not need people tearing down his self-esteem everyday. Homeschooling might sound overwhelming to some, but it's really not as scary as it sounds.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I know someone who stutters and was having a hard time. His mother took him to some sort of specialist and they started giving some sort of electric probe shocks to him....he's doing better, although it isn't all gone. On the other hand, my son, 14, has a very good friend(girl) whom he would consider his girlfriend, if he was allowed to date. Anyway, she stutters, but he doesn't even "blink twice" when she talks. I have watched her and she is very strong and sure of herself, and doesn't make it bother her, maybe this is the reason no-one is drawn to her stutters....when I first met her, I asked my son how come he never told me she stutters, and he said, "Oh, it isn't isn't like she's has 2 heads".......I thought that was very mature of him, and that was 2 years ago!
    Good luck. 13 is hard enough, even when you are 100 percent perfect(which no one is)........

Answer by 40sthenew20 at 4:09 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My aunt had that problem with her dd. She had her read poetry and say tung ties. It worked for her.

Answer by blue_eyedmomma3 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• teach him to sing his words or get a speech's show people who studder DONT studder at all when they sing words instead of speaking them.

Answer by vbruno at 4:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You may want to teach him to calm down before speaking. I had a friend who stuttered a lot because he was excited or nervous. Until he stops stuttering, it may help to teach him how to laugh when everyone else laughs. He is 13, what creative ideas has he had to help the problem?

Answer by Queentdi at 4:41 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i have a 9 year old that stutters. he takes speech therapy at school. we have learned what things work for him and are able to help him at home. if you have a an easter seals in your area they often have summer programs and a ot of great information on stuttering. we learned that what works for one child may not work for another, dont give up..just keep trying differnt things until you find one that works. for exstreme cases there is a hearing aid type thing a person can wear in his ear, and it is supposed to work real well.

Answer by mustanggrl74 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• teach him to think before he speaks - this will help him cope = his brain is either going slower than he talks or faster and both of these will cause it.
    my step dad stutters sometimes when he is realy into telling a story -
    his way of coping with it as a kid was to resort to muttering softly and he still mutters.

Answer by vakatia at 5:29 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• You have gotten some really good advice here. My son stuttered when he was younger. He worked with a speech therapist at school. If your child attends public school, I would ask the school nurse about having him evaluated by a speech therapist through the school. We found my son was thinking faster than he could talk and that caused the stutter. We taught him to use 'turtle talk' and had a signal we used that only we knew. That way if he started talking fast and stuttering I could remind him to slow down with embarrassing him more. Good luck to you both.

Answer by BonnieB726 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008