Smoking while pregnat

I have a friend....and I swear its NOT me....but she is about 7 months pregnat...she is 3 weeks ahead of my pregnacy..and she smokes cigerettes...drinks wine...smokes weed and god knows what else she does, whats going to happen to that baby? Is she going to be able to keep it?

Aunz07

Asked by Aunz07 at 5:00 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Pregnancy

• That baby could end up having some severe health problems. Smoking is also thought to cause SIDS. If the baby lives, it will be very unhealthy... It might even be born with down syndrome.
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 5:15 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You should report it to your local athorities if you have proof of the drug use, It's obviously illegal but aside from that her baby is going to be seriously unhealthy because of that kind of abuse! That is ridiculous and totally unacceptable. Think of the baby, what choice is that little baby getting? He or she will probably have severe health trauma for life because of an irresponsible negligent mother. How unfair :( This makes me cry for babies like this... Honestly, what about women who try for years to get pregnant and can't? At least if you get pregnant and don't want a baby, have the decency to have a healthy pregnancy so that someone else can adopt your miracle.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:31 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Don't most states automatically do drug tests when you go for prenatal visits? I knew this lady that tested positive for weed when she went in to have her baby and they were gonna take the baby away but she left the state before they could, she lived in Florida. I always thought there's alot of those tests that they just automatically do even if they have to reason to suspect it, cause if its something that could potentially harm the baby they have to make sure. Is she getting prenatal care cause I'm pretty sure they test you?
    mustwearmakeup

Answer by mustwearmakeup at 5:44 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Well I have known plp who do all that and dont get tested they just get to take their babies home into that kind of life. I dont know if there is really anything you can do about it. Maybe you could call her doctors office and talk to the nurse there. She will probably give her a test or something. I'm not sure what they do if someone is worried about a baby. You should have said something b4 now, the damage has already been done! Hopefully you will be able to stop anymore form happening. *Good Luck*
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 7:16 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• downs syndrome is a genetic problem - it is not linked to drug use or smoking in the mother. that said, there are plenty of problems that ARE and i think if your friend is as cavalier about her baby's health after it's born as she is now, i would have to think that taking the child away from her could only be to its benefit.
    anniekelleher

Answer by anniekelleher at 8:51 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• You can call you local DHS and someone there might be able to help you know what all can be done I your state. Or even a nurses hotline, an OB, or pediatrician. I know some places will do testing but I am not sure they dont have to have a reason for it. It is not illegal to drinka nd smoke while you are pregnant but drug use is illegal no matter what. Not that it is right to do ANY of it. Sounds like this person needs to clean up or not have her child. I would for sure notify child protective services.
    Maidenwolf

Answer by Maidenwolf at 8:58 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I think you should have to take a test and be licensed to become parents now days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MegLin

Answer by MegLin at 9:52 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• It is very sad that she is so selfish while pregnant, but there is hope. A friend of mine was the same way and her baby was born healthy. HE was a little small, but has had no major heath issues and he is now 4. So try to think positive that this baby will be ok as well./
    Amy_M

Answer by Amy_M at 10:03 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• WOW....thats terrible i dont think she deserves to keep that little miracle
    SuperMommy0212

Answer by SuperMommy0212 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Obviously it is an unhealthy situation. As someone already pointed out Downs Syndrome is not caused by drug use. However, low birth weight, premature delivery, fetal alcohol syndrome all appear to be potential problems for that babyn according to the things you described. Call DCF or your local Police for suggestions on who to contact.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008