Does breast feeding make teeth rot or not?

Please answer and give me a link to look at. :) Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• No it doesn't. While breast milk does contain sugars (lactose) it also contains agents that kill the bacteria which cause tooth decay. Nursing to sleep does not cause tooth decay like a bottle does because of the sucking motion, etc. Breast milk isn't like formula or juice. It is healthier.. my daughter nursed to sleep for 21 months. Her teeth are strong, healthy, and perfect.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:25 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• What makes teeth rot is letting a child with teeth fall asleep with milk (breast OR formula) in their mouth.... or going to bed with any kind of juice, sugary drink... etc.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/older-baby/tooth-decay.html

The solution is easy enough - don't nurse a child with teeth to sleep.  After they nurse they should still have a brushing routine, just like you would your older kids.  Brush teeth, then down for bed.

Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 1:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Thanks for the advice. :) Poor girl...she's 17 months old and used to me nursing her to sleep. She has a tiny cavity so I'm looking at ways to stop it. Filling it is a last resort. I've stopped nursing her to sleep, have been brushing her teeth and am buying an iron supplament for her. A homeopathic doctor said that the number 1 reasons for cavities in kids is not enough iron and too much milk, but she said dentists will never tell you that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2009