Miscarriage: D & C or expel naturally?

I had my worst fear confirmed today. After a second Ultra Sound, my baby measuring 9w 5d had no heart beat. No longer a viable pregnancy. Now that I have seen the baby, I don't know if I can handle watching it pass. My heart is in pieces but I want to have a good chance of conceiving and carrying a full term baby again. I know I should feel thankful for the three beautiful girls I have and I do absolutely, but I feel awful. Suggestions?

MommyLove531

Asked by MommyLove531 at 1:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I am so incredibly sorry. I can't imagine what you are going trough right now. The pain of waiting for your baby to pass, must be excruciating. If I were in your place, I would probably have the medical procedure done. Only because then it would just be done and I would never have to see it. I know that might sound a little heartless, but it's only what I would to to keep myself sane. I'm so sorry you have to make such a choice.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i am so sorry for your loss. :( your going to be ok. i'm sorry i cant help.
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 1:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• you know going through this is so hard and I am so sorry that you're going through this.  Last month I had a miscarraige and it was one of the hardest things I had to go through. And reading your Q, it brought back all that memories.

I actually had to carry on the "pregnancy" till the doc's decided that I could either take pills to expell the "tissue"( the preg. was a blighted ovum,the baby stopped growing at 5 wks.) or have a d&c.  I didn't want to go under and the pills he said I could take vicodin for the pain. I ended up releasing the "tissue" before the preocedure took affect. I cramped and bled 14 days even after the baby was gone..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Losing this baby was the hardest my husband and I had to go through together. Esp. my DH being a marine, he was suppose to go out to the field and I wasn't sure if he was going to be there for all that I was going through. But they did let him stay and if it wasn't for his support I don't know what I  would do.

I know it's hard for you honey but imagine ifyou didn't lose the baby and there might have been some complications, it might have been worse in the long run. the doc even told me, that when this happens, it's our body's way of saying that there is something wrong...

Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 1:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• When this was happening to me, what made me get through it all was not only my husband but the support of my mom and family,respecting my wishes. I didn't want to accept any calls until things slowed down and we as a family had a chance to heal. Esp.when we kept repeating the same things,I started to feel numb. Aside from healing and coping, deciding what you want to do is completely up to you.

I didn't want any surgical procedure because I had my csection and my gallbladder removed in one year so surgery it exhausting..but the pills that they gave me wasn't bad. Just lots of cramping. I hope things get better for you and your family. It'll be hard but you can and will be strong! muchlove..Lisa

Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 2:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I had a natural miscarriage. it was the most horrible thing. i felt the tissue pass, and I felt like I was flushing my baby. I said at that point, if it ever happened again, I would have a D and C and be done with it. It just made the whole process draw out and I was so sad........
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 2:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would probly have the D&C. I can not possibly imagine what you are going through. But I know I wouldn't be able to see the baby. How ever I probly would ask to have the remains creamated so as to give a proper funeral and good bye. I am beyond sorry for your loss.
    vkp23

Answer by vkp23 at 6:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would do what you think fits! I can not tell you to do a D & C, and I can not say to do it naturally. I had a MC and I did it natural. It was the worst thing a women can expierence, but at the same time, you know that your body is still "safe" from any scarrings and damage that can be done to the uterus. I am truly sorry for your loss. It is such a horrible thing. I wish the best for you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i honestly would not want to do the D&C not only because it could damage your body but because id much rather pass it naturally then have it end up in peices in a doctors trash
    im trying to say this in the best way but this is a hard situation
    im very sorry for your loss and wish you the best
    keep in mind this is your bodys way of telling you there was something wrong with the baby or the pregnancy
    good luck and i hope you keep us updated on your choice and how you are feeling ... everyones here for you
    Riosmommy

Answer by Riosmommy at 5:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009