Do you think its inappopriate for a 10 year old to have a cell phone?

My daughter used to live with her grandmother and she totally spoiled her, she lives with us now,but her grandma still pays the bill (I'm sure its one of those shared plans) and she doesn't need it, we have a house phone. I don't even own a cell phone! And now she's begging her dad to buy her a new one cause hers is a little scratched and has a little crack. Is it just me or is there something wrong with this picture? Am I overreacting?

mustwearmakeup

Asked by mustwearmakeup at 5:18 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• It's hard to say. If she's going to beg for a new phone just because of some minor damages, then don't let her have one. I was 13-14 when I got my cell phone, but that was because no one was at home during the day, and I was out of the house a lot. I needed to be able to be contacted at all times. Yes, I was raised by my grandma too, but she had very loose restrictions with me.
    DementedPsyche

Answer by DementedPsyche at 5:20 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• The problem isn't necisarily the phone itself, it's your daughter being too materialistic. Thats something she'll have to learn to outgrow and if you help her learn it now may not be a problem later on.
    Hannah-Belle

Answer by Hannah-Belle at 5:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I agree with Hannah-Belle. You're doing the right thing. Your daughter has to learn the value of money. I had experience with my stepson , he thinks that everything is about whatever he wants when it comes to money and things. Now,in college he learned that he has to earned if he wants something,how to spend money wisely and be responsible. It was big issue in the family, but we're glad he realized that money doesn't grow on trees.
    cornets

Answer by cornets at 6:22 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I think 10 years old is too young for a cell phone. My oldest son is 8 and he's been begging for one but I told him when he can pay for it himself, then he can have one, he doesn't need it. I agree with the other posters, there's a bigger issue here. She needs to learn the value of money. Have her do chores around the house to earn money. My kids ( 6 & 8) have chores they do every morning ( wash their breakfast dishes, make their beds, sweep the floor, run the vacuum, wipe out the bathroom sink, clean up the dog poop, feed the dogs). I pay them $3 a week for this and whenever we go to a yard sale or K-mart, if they want a toy, they pay for it with their own money.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 8:02 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• No I think it is important for them to have one so you can get ahold of them at all times. If they start not answering it, not charging it I would take it away. Also they should contribute to the bill by doing chores around the house or something.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 8:29 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• well, I'm a bitch I guess. My boys got cell phones when they got jobs and could pay the bill. Too much too soon is ONE of the problems with the "entitlement generation" They feel like it is owed to them. B. S.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• My kids are 6 and 7 and asked about having their own phone recently and I told them they would have to wait until they are 18. My kids said "okay" and it was dropped.

My SIL and BIL both have given their kids one is 8 and the other is 16 their own phones, They have had these phones for YEARS and I think it's nuts...so does my hubby. Honestly there is no reason for them to have one.... not even to keep in contact... In my opinion.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:04 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• sadly shes 10 and its 2008... unfortunately this is fairly typical now.
    ChasesMommy0115

Answer by ChasesMommy0115 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• definitely not. a 10 year old don't need a cell phone. if shes not working paying her own bill then no way.
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• hi, i dont think your overreacting, my mother wanted to do the same with my daughter who is 11,i dont own a cell either,and my daughter really never uses the house phone so no need for a cell phone. they do have cell phones that are for emergencys only like with 911 and parents only , if feel comfortable with that. i told my daughter ,if i got one for her it would be for emergencys only and if misused it would be gone! but i really dont think children should have one at that age 10-14 , maybe high school age!
    mommyof2911

Answer by mommyof2911 at 3:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2008