My son may end up with braces by next month! What to expect?

Ok so my oldest son just saw his orthodontist, and they want to either put some kind of spacer thing in the top of his mouth where you have to turn a key every few days to spread it out more to make more room for his teeth, or possibly braces. They are going to try to do the spacer, but if his last tooth is already coming in by then, they will have to go ahead with braces. He is 11. What can we both expect with braces? Does it restrict what they eat alot? How much discomfort does it cause? I know he is concerned and I've never known anyone with braces, so I figured I'd come on here and get some input.

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• i know what you're talking about with the spacers, because i had that when i was about 17 ;) but then my wisdom teeth started coming in and it all changed...
    the spacers hurt like hell...and i have a high pain tolerance. it was terrible.

now i have braces :) i love them!! they aren't bad like people say. just extra teeth brushing, due to the food getting stuck . stock up on tooth brushes and floss.
    i've found that i can still eat pretty much everything after practice...i just chew more carefully.
    the biggest discomfort are the adjustments, or the first couple weeks when they're in...the insides of my gums hurt bad from all the wire rubbing in my cheeks...the wax they provided really helped.
    i'd say just go with the braces...you won't be out so much money. chances are, he'll need them anyways, and he'll probably get faster results! i'd get a second dentist opinion. good luck!
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 1:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I had braces around that age. :) No gum or sticky, chewy stuff and get the wax to put on the braces... they can cut into your mouth. Good luck!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• There is ALOT of pressure the first couple of weeks. Of course that was they way it was with me. I had them for about 5 years(by the way, take him to EVERY scheduled appt and don't miss them! LOL, so it wont last as long for your son) But my teeth were really crooked and the way my orthodontist made room for straightening them was taking out 2 teeth before the braces were put in. Yes, there are certain types of food restrictions so a bracket wont be forced off. Just ask the orthodontist what they are, because I can't remember them all at this time. About expecting how discomfort braces cause, just take a finger and press down really hard on a tooth......and just imagine how that would feel through out your ENTIRE mouth. That's a trick someone told me to do when I was asking the same question before I got my braces.......VERY similar! I'll tell ya that much! :)
    ReginaGallo

Answer by ReginaGallo at 1:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I got my first set of braces on when I was in the 3rd grade...that made me 8 i believe. Braces are very uncomfortable in the beginning, I am not going to lie to you. It takes some getting used to. I ate soft foods, a lot of soup for about the first week or so. No gum, sticky or hard candy. Watch the wires in the very back of his mouth..when your teeth shift it pushes that wire that runs all along your teeth to get some slack it in. My cheeks formed scar tissue around excess wires in the back. Keep an eye out for it. The upside to all this dicomfort is that I now have a beautiful smile and I am so glad my parents put braces on my teeth!
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 10:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2009