• In the Spotlight:

Would this annoy you?

I work in registration in a busy ER. I relieve the evening shift (made up of 3 girls 18, 20 & 23). When anything dramatic happens they gawk and gossip the rest of their shift. Take tonight (last night) for example. A very heavy man died, his whole family and several friends were here. Ms 18 insisted on being walked to her car 100 yards away, Ms. 23 asked me if I got to see him when the funeral home came to get him and how big was he? Ms. 20 maintained professionally. Their superviser is well aware of this as is anyone that happens to be in the waiting room at the time. What would you do?

mrssullivan

Asked by mrssullivan at 3:14 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• If I was a guest in the ER and I overheard it I would be FURIOUS. That's very unprofessional... I would file a complaint right away. And tell them to stop and have some respect for the people in here....

As a co-worker, I'd do the same. Report it to someone who can counsel them on it (idk what you call it, but someone who will write them up and discipline them for it). If that person is you, you give them a warning as soon as they start. At the very least, they may stop around YOU- however you may become the butt of a lot of gossip when you're not there....
    livn4hevn

Answer by livn4hevn at 3:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• There's really nothing you can do. People are soooo freaking nosy and disrespectful.

From now on if they ask you a personal question about somebody else's life I would just say I don't know and look down/away. Sooner or later they will understand that you aren't going to talk.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• this upsets me as well, i am a RN in the maternity ward (soon to be a midwife) and they do this all the time at my hospital. I hate it so much.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yeah, that would be annoying...it would be different if it was a slow night and they weren't disrupting anyone. If I were you, I'd maintain my professionalism...who knows...maybe it will eventually rub off. And it would be up to you whether or not to report them...they might make your work harder on you, or you may not have to put up with that shit anymore...its a 50/50 chance.
    mandystenger

Answer by mandystenger at 3:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• That poor guy! : (
    mandystenger

• Discussing any personal info re patients as Im sure you know, is a violation of the HIPPA laws. Even if its amongst staff, unless they have a justifiable reason for discussing it. You can contact human resources or leave a message anonymously if you choose, but this should not be tollorated. (sp) Please don't just let this continue. How would these girls feel if it was their family member that some staff members were having socials about?
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 3:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• There are confidentiality laws for a reason and someone who doesn't get that needs to get another job.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 8:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• they should not work there maybe they should work at the mall
    allie955

Answer by allie955 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 23, 2009