Does my 4 yr old have a UTI? What do I do for her?

My 4 year old daughter was complaining that it hurt everytime she peed. I had some AZO test strips and had her pee on one.

It was positive for Leukocytes, so I'm thinking that means white blood cells or bacteria are present. I'm thinking she has a UTI.

I'm making an appointment with her pedi. But I'm wondering if the AZO can be considered valid because it is meant for adult females. Do you think it's likely she has an infection because it was positive? Is it still valid even if used for a 4 year old?

Can I do the same things for her that I would do for my self for a UTI? Cranberry juice, trying to get her to drink water, ect. Can I give her a children's vitamin C? What else can I do to keep her comfortable until we see the doctor?

Thanx for reading and thoughts.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2012 in General Parenting

• Take her to the pediatrician and find out. I would call the nurse and ask her what you can do in the meantime.

Answer by gemgem at 12:51 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• get her to the doctor ASAP
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:56 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• I'm taking her in to see the dr today at 4:15.....was hoping someone here could tell me how to keep her comfortable. I've been giving her cranberry juice, she seems to really like so I'm glad for that. She doesn't seem to happy, but hopefully they'll do something for her.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:43 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• Rather than load your child up on antibiotics....
    There are many home remedies you can try.

mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 3:57 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• She needs t o to her dr. because it might not be what you think it is, and as far as meds, you dont want to give her something she cant have.
    BUTTERFLY463

Answer by BUTTERFLY463 at 8:21 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• The dr checked her out yesterday and she has a uti, he gave us a scriped for antibotics and we filled it at publix pharmacy. Got her some cranberry blueberry juice. We've made another apt in 2 weeks to go back after she finishes her meds. They taste like grape and smell really good but little one says she doesn't like them. She still takes it though.

It's 6:23 and she's sleeping again, hope she feels better when she wakes.

Thanx again for your thoughs :-)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:24 AM on Feb. 1, 2012