How to rehydrate after being very sick?

I spent most of the night and this morning very sick. I was close to going to the ER for dehydration. I feel a little better, but I feel very weak and dehydrated. It's to the point where my DH has been watching our son all day b/c all I seem to want to do is sleep. Besides gatorade, is there any other way to get what my body needs?
Thank you in advance.

amberdawnbarr

Asked by amberdawnbarr at 2:09 PM on Jan. 31, 2012 in Health

• I'm not even a big fan of Gatorade. Gatorade is pretty high in sodium which is really helping to dehydrate. Drink water... plenty of water!!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• Gatorade is terrible full strength... if you are going drink any sports drink dilute it by half with water.... the amount of sugar will either give you diarrhea or make it worse!! Weakness can also be from lack of fuel... eat protein, carbs... balance to refuel your cells an level out your blood sugar. :o)

Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:18 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• first off sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well it sucks being sick and it is going around all over

you can try drinking tea(I drink green tea when I'm not feeling well)--hot or cold; water and lots of it; drink clear liquids; you can try eating things that are salty but in small proportions(like saltine crackers) and also you can try the BRAT diet(Bananas; Rice; Applesauce; Toast) if you have had an upset stomach or diarrhea
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• What is the BRAT diet?

If you have recently had an upset stomach or diarrhea, your doctor may suggest that you limit your diet to bland foods that won’t irritate your stomach. The BRAT diet is a bland-food diet that is often recommended for adults and children. BRAT stands for Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. The BRAT diet can help you recover from an upset stomach or diarrhea for the following reasons:

It includes “binding” foods. These are low-fiber foods that can help make your stools firmer.
    It includes bananas, which are high in potassium and help replace nutrients your body has lost because of vomiting or diarrhea.

When should I follow the BRAT diet?

After you have diarrhea or vomiting, follow the BRAT diet to help your body ease back into normal eating. This diet may also help ease the nausea and vomiting some women experience during pregnancy.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• cont

You can add other bland foods to the BRAT diet. For example, you can try saltine crackers, boiled potatoes or clear soups. Don’t start eating dairy products and sugary or fatty foods right away. These foods may trigger nausea or lead to more diarrhea.

When should I avoid the BRAT diet?

Solid foods, like those in the BRAT diet, are not recommended for adults or children who are actively vomiting. Instead, stick to clear liquids at first and wait until you can eat solid foods without vomiting. If you have been vomiting or have diarrhea, drinking an electrolyte beverage (some brand names: Pedialyte, Rehydralyte) can help protect against dehydration. Use these products according to your doctor’s instructions
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 2:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• Clear liquids. Get a bottled water and sip on it. You can also try Popsicles, 7-up, warm tea and things like that. Honestly if you are feeling this bad I would advise going to the ER. If you felt that bad your body might need some help. Plus they give you medication that will help you feel better and an IV to help rehydrate you.

Answer by gemgem at 2:41 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• One thing. You do not want to avoid salt too much. Your body needs salts to function properly (muscle and nerve), and being sick you loose salt. (Don't want to over do replenishing though). Salts will also help you to retain the water in your body, instead of peeing/ sweating it out.
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 3:14 PM on Jan. 31, 2012

• You can replenish your electrolytes with fresh coconut water. Have your honey run to the store and grab a coconut - open it up (the 3 "spots"/eyes on the coconut are where you want to break into it - drain it in a glass, add lemon or honey to taste and enjoy. I take coconut water with me to rehydrate and replenish my electrolytes anytime I go on a very long, strenuous hike - it's the best and most natural form of liquid electrolytes out there.
    daylily888

Answer by daylily888 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 31, 2012