The laws on VBAC's

I had an emergency c-section with my oldest. When I pregnant with my 2nd I fully intended to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after cesarean). My doctor told me that neither of the hospital where I live allow them. I relented and agreed to the ERCD (Elective repeat cesarean delivery) thinking I had no other choice. Now here's my thing. My doctor saved my life and my oldest daughter's life by doing the CD (cesarean delivery), but medically there was no need for the ERCD with my 2nd. My doctor is a really great doctor but having found out that a friend of mines sister recently did have a successful VBAC at one of the hospitals here, I'm beginning to wonder what his motives were. Granted I'm super stubborn and because my oldest almost killed me he could have been trying to save me from a fight I may have ultimately lost, possibly in more ways than one.

vkp23

Asked by vkp23 at 5:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Health

• CONT. ran out of room...
    Well my hubby and I are kinda trying for another one and have been doing some research on VBAC's and my rights and the law. Apparently a hospital CAN NOT make you have an ERCD, and a doctor can not refuse to treat a woman if she were to refuses treatment (ie. ERCD) with out 30 days notice and referrals to other health care providers. What is your opinion? I really like my doctor and don't want to change but I don't want to be bullied into an ERCD again. Any thoughts or suggestions?

vkp23

Answer by vkp23 at 5:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• is it possible at the time of your 2nd when he did tell you that, that for some reason , maybe not even himself, but anes. dr or what equipment they may have needed on stand by was not available at that time? Maybe it wasnt allowed then but is now. I know a lot of small towns get new things in, and it changes very quickly. Have you asked your dr. if you were to have another about VBAC? His answer may be totally different now. I do know a lot of dr.;s here will not attempt a VBAC after 2. I had to have an emergency c-section as well, sounds just liek you and my OB and new OB both told me neither would EVER attempt a VBAC on me, and I still dont understand why. Back to you, I would make an appt. with your dr. and talk to him/her because its worth the talk first at least, if you will change anyway if he wont...
    Shannahboo18

Answer by Shannahboo18 at 6:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My 2nd was born three months ago. And I live in a collage town. Athens ga actually and so no this isn't a small town. I was told a midwife would do it but I would prefer to go to my doc. I do plan on talking to him when ever I get prego again. I REALLY don't want to do another CD!
    vkp23

Answer by vkp23 at 6:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009