can u get ur period when your pregnant?

katherine79

Asked by katherine79 at 7:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Some folks, yes. My mother had her period the whole time she was with my sister.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• How far along? If you have just concieved there is the possibility of something called "breakthrough bleeding" which happens when the fertilized egg implants on the uterus wall. This may be as light as spotting, or as heavy as a full period.

If you are more than 1 month along and bleeding, you should call your obgyn right away, or go immediately to an emergency room. If you are experiencing something that may lead to a miscarriage, there are times when the emergency room can stop you from losing the baby...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 7:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• As for having periods during your pregnancy, YES it is possible. My cousin had her normal periods for 3 months straight during her pregnancy!! I would just call your doctor to make sure everything is alright with your little one!

Their is no way that anyone can stop a MC I just went to my OB's office last week because I was having bleeding. Thank goodness that everything was alright with my baby, and he told me that if it was a MC that their is nothing they can do when you are in your 1st trimester!

I had a MC a few months ago, and I was 12 weeks along. They couldnt do anything to stop it either. How far along are you? Are you having cramping/contractions, and or a dull low back ache that wont go away? If you are having those symptoms you need to be seen ASAP!! Good luck to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Ah, perhaps I wasn't clear. They can't actually stop a miscarriage, but if you are experiencing a situation which might lead to one if not looked after they can help you. For example... placing you on bedrest or putting a stitch in your cervix to "close you up a bit more down there" as my friend put it when they did it to her...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 8:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'd go to the hospital! I don't know if you can get your period during pregnancy but i've always been told by my doc that you shouldn't be bleeding. Is it a real period or is it spotting? There's a big difference and if your still concerned then i'd make sure and tell your doc.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 8:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2009