My granddaughter has long, curly hair. Combing and brushing is a battle royal because it really hurts her tender head. We have tried many over the counter products, but nothing has really helped. Any suggestions other than cutting her hair short which we definitely do not want to do.

Damma

Asked by Damma at 7:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• omg no dont cut it. have you tried conditioner in it after washing? im sure you have since you said you tried everything i would call your local beauty salon and ask them
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 7:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Try an adult detangler.....you may want to try braiding it right after a bath when it's easy to comb, then when it's time to go somewhere if you/she wants it down you can just unbraid it, finger comb it and go.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 8:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Have you experimented with conditioners? Dove makes your hair especially soft.
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 8:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I was going to suggest the same things....conditioner or detangler. Make sure you have a wide tooth comb, no brushes or regular combs, this will hurt and damage her hair! Good luck and know I am jealous of her long curly locks!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 8:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Detangler works really well on my 2yr old. She has long curly hair and it makes it so much easier. Good luck to you.
    tessntylersmom

Answer by tessntylersmom at 8:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i have to mixed girls with extreme curly hair and i use generic hair treatment from sally's its like a leave in conditner and it work like a detangler .use regluar conditoner and leave it sit for like 2 mins be4 you wash it out .and try to pick her hair instead of brushing it .good luck
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• A very WIDE tooth comb has been my latest discovery! My daughter is two and has long, very curly hair. I was using a regular comb... not good. The wide tooth comb (widest you can find!) has made a HUGE difference!!
    HeathersBabies

Answer by HeathersBabies at 9:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My daughters are mixed too and, like the other posters, I use a pick. I also braid it every night before bed and use detangler liberally before doing anything with it the next morning. Since my youngest is three, she doesn't wear her hair down much simply because of the amount of tangling that we have to work through later.
    Happywith2girls

Answer by Happywith2girls at 10:01 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Good morning, All three of my gorls had beautiful long hair. They hated to have it combed also. I would try by wetting it with a spray bottle of water (tip-) they couldn't wait to hold the bottle, I had them sit on counter by sink so they could spray in the sink while I combed. It kept their mind off what I was doing. I also would use Johnsons hair detangler when I was able to get some. I hope one of these tricks might help. Good luck !!! Sandy- Kentwood
    noodle555

Answer by noodle555 at 11:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I was going to suggest a good conditioner too.
    I ended up switching to Pantene Breakage Defense. While it's in her hair, I comb her hair with a wide tooth comb. Then I rinse it. That really helps keep the initial tangles down and I've seen a huge difference in the amount of tangles in the morning.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2009