What is a good to eat/drink to produce more milk in your breasts for Breastfeeding?

okay i was a breastfeeding mom with #1 but only for 5 months. #2 is due in march and i plan on breastfeeding for at least 1 yr Insha'allah..(God willing) so anyone with any tips on how to produce more milk, and how to get the milkin faster after colostrum.. any/all tips would help!!!

fatima_reed23

Asked by fatima_reed23 at 8:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Everyone's given great advice. Nurse on demand at the beginning to build up a good supply. Keep yourself hydrated. Drink Mother's Milk tea. Consult with a certified lactation consultant at the beginning of your breastfeeding relationship just to make sure that you are doing everything correctly from the start, because a bad start can affect how much milk you create. You can pump to stimulate production too. I was advised to pump an hour after the first morning feeding because morning is when your supply is at its highest. Visit kellymom.com for lots of good advice and support. Good luck!
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:53 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Nurse nurse nurse. Let baby nurse as often as baby wants. Baby will make you think baby is starving, but that is what stimulates your body to make milk. As long as you're gettin 8 wet diapers a day then baby is eating enough. Don't supplument....it will sabatoge your supply. For extra supply oatmeal works wonders (no bake cookies were my fav). Also Fenugreek, Mothers Milk Tea and blessed Thistle. I failed with my first 2 children, and made it to 1 yr with number 3. I got pregnant and didn't know. When I miscarried I realized why she had weaned, and was refusing my milk. She was a year though. I had planned to extended nurse. Good luck mama and if you need help try one of the groups here, breastfeeding.com, or I am available as well if you need support! Awesome choice!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oh almost forgot....water! Keep yourself very very well hydrated!
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 8:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Colleen gave you great advice! there is tons of info on kellymom.com. Also, check out some of the breastfeeding groups on here and ask an LC or LLL leader for advice. Don't ask you OB or ped. they don't know crap about breastfeeding!
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 8:57 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• they told me to drink plenty of water
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oatmeal!
    AJmamma

Answer by AJmamma at 9:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Eat healthy and heartily and keep hydrated.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 9:49 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• water and dairy products. Keep up on a lot of calories. You need more calories when you're nursing than when you're pregnant!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 9:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Nurse on demand, watch the baby not the clock, eat to your hunger and drink to your thirst. Avoid decongestants, especially psudoephedrine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:11 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I've read oatmeal can help. I'd try to avoid taking any herbal remedies without talking to your doctor. They all have side effects to them. Be careful! Eat some oatmeal, drink a bunch of water, and nurse your little heart out. The more you nurse the more you'll make. Just stay healthy (eat well and stay hydrated) and you should be fine without taking any supplements. Talk to a LC if you are still unsure.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 10:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2009