HOW DO I DEAL WITH A SIX YEAR OLD THAT SAYS U DONT LOVE AND LIESTO YOU?

ATTITUDE WHEN HE IS WITHGRANDPA AND SAYS HE HATES MY BOYFRIEND THEN WHEN COMES BACK HOME HE SAYS HE LOVES HIM I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

katherine79

Asked by katherine79 at 8:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like he is trying to get a little attention no matter what the cost. i would sit him down and talk to him ask him why he is telling grandpa that he hates BF
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It sounds to me like he wants you to be happy so he is telling you what he thinks you want to hear but he is being honest with his grandpa... it isn't a lie, it is trying to make and keep you happy. He is 6 the only thing in the world that is important to him right now is you, his family and maybe some of his friends. I would sit him down and tell him you won't be mad and you want the truth but if he doesn't trust you (because you get angry easily or have said that before and then gotten angry, just a speculation I don't know you so I don't know...) then he isn't going to tell you because he is scared... This is a tough one and I am sorry you are in this situation. Give him time, build his trust and you and maybe he will come around. Good Luck!

MNMom247365

Answer by MNMom247365 at 8:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My son used to do this a lot. He is more honest now that he is ten. This was a problem because we divorced so he would change his story a lot to please the parent he was with. He knows what you want to hear. I know this hurts and is so frustrating. I would try to get him to talk and not judge, and he may not want to. Don't give up! We have to be therapists to our kids sometimes, and put outselves in their little shoes. Mine has to live with a step mom he bashes and a step-dad. A kids therapist recommended massage, she said to talk to him as you massage their backs and that they will open up. He LOVES the massage and really looks forward to it. He will appreciate it and you can bond with him. I went through this when I first dated my husband, but my husband really worked at the relationship and he was so smart in how he handled it. He took that process very slowly, to help the little one adjust. Hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• sounds like you need to sit him down and have a talk with him about ur bf
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• YOur main concern is YOUR son. With this said, you need to talk with your son. He could be feeling left out, he could be feeling hurt. He is still learning how to deal with emotions. Does boyfriend live with you? Its hard for a 6 year old to deal with so many bosses. Perhaps he feels that he is turning his back on his father if he says he likes your boyfriend. I would be very careful with your sons emotions right now.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:31 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Sounds like he is trying to tell you something which could be important. LISTEN. Kids know more then we think they know
    MrsTGray

Answer by MrsTGray at 9:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009