speech disorders in toddlers

my 2 yr old cant say a lot of words , should i be concerned?

wen24rosas

Asked by wen24rosas at 7:47 AM on Jul. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I wouldnt be...every child is different. My dd just turned 3 in June and is just now talking full sentences. I thought it was never going to happen!!
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Every child is different and learns at His/Her own rate.
    My Suggestion is Read, Read and Read.
    Show Pictures in Books, name the pictures and have your little one repeat you. Don't get frustrated if your little one can't or wont. Just keep working with em. Good Luck.
    ProudOhioMom

Answer by ProudOhioMom at 8:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• I wouldn't be too concerned as long as she is saying a few words. They all learn at a different pace. Just keep trying to get her to talk, try to get her to say what she wants instead of just pointing. Hang in there she'll learn!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 11:20 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Probably no need to be concerned but you can always ask your pediatrician. A simple check-up can help ease your worries.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:38 AM on Jul. 18, 2008

• Every child is different, and your child may be perfectly fine. Lots of children go through that, However, if it were me, I'd get him checked out by a speech therapist just to be safe! My niece is 4 and not talking yet, she was just recently diagnose with a developmental delay. If we had known this sooner, she's be better off right now. My sister took her to her pediatrician at 2 and 3 and the dr said she was fine, just a late bloomer. Well, that was not the case at all. Now, she has more permanent issues because nothing was done sooner. I'm not saying this is the case with your child, but hey, Better safe than sorry!
    MrsP777

Answer by MrsP777 at 1:44 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• nether is mine. i think boys take longer to talk. my daughter was kind of quiet too at that age "cant get to shut up now".well my son don't talk"words" but he knows how to get his point across and u know what he needs. ass long as hes communicating to u and u can understand each other .don't worry.
    and even so my nephew is 3 days older than my daughter and he still has problems talkin clear.
    michmm03

Answer by michmm03 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 18, 2008

• If you have any concerns about his/her speech I would call the pediatrician; they can recommend a place for an evaluation. If I didn't make that move, Lord only knows. My daughter's doctor said not to worry until she was 3. Didn't go for it. The poor little thing, I could almost come to tears remembering how much she wanted to talk, but just couldn't bring her words out. Now after 6 months of therapy she talks up a storm. The state of NC provides it for free as long as your child qualifies. So please make some phone calls. My daughter used to get very self concsious about it, I'm so glad we found help for her.
    Yanismama

Answer by Yanismama at 2:57 PM on Jul. 18, 2008