What should you watch trying to diet?

Calories, fat or carbs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• I think you need to watch all 3. I have something that is working very well for me to curb my appetite and my cravings for carbs and sweets.
    BettyBoots

Answer by BettyBoots at 10:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Definitely read your labels and stay completely away from anything that has high fructose corn syrup in it! Seriously, it is to our bodies like styrofoam is to our environment - it doesn't break down. And it causes the gene that tells our bodies we are hungry to not work.

PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 3:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You need some fat in your diet, no fat diets are bad for your health. Read up on good vs. bad fats and go from there. Carbs should also be watched. Usually a diet will tell you to eat NO carbs for the first week or so, then they gradually add some good carbs back into the diet. Whole grains, pastas, rice, etc. is best for you. Anything with refined sugar or flour (white) turns directly into glucose/sugar and will cause an immediate spike in your blood-sugar, then let you crash and burn. Good carbs will prolong the nutrients and make the cravings be virtually non-existant. As for calories, you need to eat several small meals per day, preferable every 3 hrs., instead of big meals. It keeps your metabolism running most efficiently.
    PSMother

• sodium as well!! Your sodium intake shouldn't be more than double the calories you're eating. PS mother has some good advice, as I DO NOT eat anything with white or bleached flour, including white bread , rice, etc. its hard...we went out to eat and they served fresh yeast buttery rolls and I couldn't have any ! :(
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 11:24 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I can give you a few tips that I'm just now learning. I'm doing the nutrisystem diet (I know...) But the thing I'm learning is to definately watch your servings. Their meals are packaged and...for instance, last night at had meatloaf and mashed potatoes (Not a lot of flavor in the potatoe, I imagine it's just that...1 sm mashed potato).
    Please keep in mind...I'm not pushing this diet in any way...I'd just like to share what I'm learning...
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 11:59 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• So...I have my meal, a salad with ff dressing, and fruit. I find that I am never hungry. Breakfast is the same. Your meal ( choose wisely) fruit and a dairy. Lunch is the same. Also I am allowed an afternoon snack...fruit and dairy (ex. fruit cup and string chz). Then a wise snack at night.
    So, this works for me. It's been 9 days and I lost 6 lbs.
    I think I can still do this when I choose to go off the plan. Anyway, thats my 2 cents! =)
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 12:03 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• I would say to watch all 3 and then I'd throw in a couple more things to watch :-) but I'm also studying to become a Dietician. its overwhelming and if you get too caught up in "watching" things, you forget to listen to your body.

Thin people eat naturally. By that, I mean, they dont obsess over what they eat. They eat when they are hungry and the eat what their body needs. Notice, I said NEEDS. They eat lean protein, dairy, whole grains, fruits and veggies.

If you only have the ability to watch 2 things, I'd say focus on your sugar intake and saturated fat. Saturated fat is animal fat. You find it in red meat, eggs, cream, butter, cheese, etc. Limit these. And for the love of all things pure, stay away from soda. ALL soda. Even diet. Drink iced tea, crystal light, water with lemon, 100% juice. Whatever you want.... except soda.
    smitten119

Answer by smitten119 at 1:07 PM on Jan. 17, 2009