Any suggestions my son has ADD and can't sleep at night?

My son has ADD and he is 10 he takes his last does of meds. after lunch and in the evening around 8 or 8:30 TV is off and I let him read for awhile to try to help him get sleepy but even that doesn't work I find him under his blankets with a flashlight still reading, he tells me he is really wanting to sleep but just can't. I would appreciate any suggestions thanks Ginny.

mssham

Asked by mssham at 9:22 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Benedryl is what our doctor told us to give my ss. It's the same ative ingredient as most OTC sleep aid meds. You would want to talk to your doctor about this. It sounds as if his afternoon meds need to be reduced or eliminated. Could he do a time release?
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• what is he taking btw? And why is he taking anything at 8-8:30?
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Ask your physician if he is open to natural remedies: melatonin, valerian root, etc from the health food store.
    deardrush

Answer by deardrush at 9:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• He is on Ritilin, I have tried the Benedryl and it's not very effective (maybe I am not giving him enough) when he would finally go to sleep we were having a hard time waking him up in the morning.

His last does is at lunch time.
    mssham

Answer by mssham at 10:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Make him burn off the energy.
    yakara77

Answer by yakara77 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• Being ADD, his mind is unable to stay on one subject long enough to fully do anything about it, hence the meds. He is not hyper or has tons of energy, then he would be ADHD, so there is nothing to "burn off". I am mild ADD, meaning I can force my mind to stay on subject without meds. But I still have a hard time falling asleep at night. One thing that I found helpful is writing my 1001 thoughts down. Sometimes my hand gets tired before my mind shuts down, but it helps. His mind is what is racing, not his body, so normal sleep aids don't help since they are to calm the body, not the mind. Another helpful thing I found was mediation. If you have iTunes, there is a free podcast call The Meditation Podcast .com. Their #6 podcast, Falling Asleep is a really good one. It helps relax the mind along with the body. If he has an iPod or something similar that will take podcasts, I highly recommend that one.
    Mi_Chelly

Answer by Mi_Chelly at 5:54 PM on Jan. 18, 2009

• My 11 yr old DD is ADHD, she is on medate CD 20mg it is an extended release. but also takes Clondine and melatonin at night to help her sleep. Even as a infant I had problems with her sleeping.
    goneinsane226

Answer by goneinsane226 at 6:08 PM on Jan. 28, 2009