been asking lanlord for copy of lease for 2 months now...

ok i have asked him for 2 months now for a copy and 2 weeks ago i wrote on the rent envelope need copy of rent by jan 14th due to rental verification. well its now past the 14th and i guess he came by this am to take rent of the bored and no lease. i even wrote that if he lost it to just please tell me ( he would lose it ) so what can i do? i want to read my lease ( dh signed it 2 years ago ) what would you do? we live in n.h

tabbys4

Asked by tabbys4 at 9:24 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• well you should have gotten a copy when you signed it. you should always get copies of anything you sign WHEN you sign it. I would really call a lawyer and ask for legal advice. is there a certain reason why you want it?
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:27 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• 2 years ago he said ok i will send you a copy and back then we thought he was a good oldtime guy. but i remember he said if you get a washer it would be 16 a month well last oct i got a washer and i gave him 16 for the water bill pluse rent . so the next week i just gave him rent he called screaming at me saying i was short on rent 4.00. i said no i paid you the 16 for the month he said im changeing things and that he wants the 4.00 every week basicly on the 5 week months he gets more money. also want to see what it says about rent it was listed at 1200 a month but at times we pay 1500 i want to see what it says on the lease 1200 or at times 1500. he will do anything for a dollar he wont fix things ( see no oven ) but god help u if you dont pay him the dollar he thinks u owe him. i want to read it and see what it says but i cant get him to get me a copy..
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 9:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You should be getting a new copy of the lease to sign at least 30 days before your current lease's expiration date (the original date you signed it) every year the lease is in force (if it is a one-year lease, sooner if the lease is for less time). There are laws to protect both renters and landlords and you need to know them; These two websites have the information you need - http://www.hud.gov/local/nh/renting/tenantrights.cfm and http://ohmyapt.apartmentratings.com/new-hampshire-tenants-law.html
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would contact the landlord and tenants office in your city. They may be able to give you some suggestions. What I would do is mail him a certified letter requesting the copy. That way you have a track record that you have requested the copy. Also, keep a copy for your records as well. Let him know that you know that as a tenant you have rights and you like a copy of the lease.
    SimplyCreative

Answer by SimplyCreative at 9:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• call a lawyer.. some will do free consultations.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 9:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Send that certified letter so he has to sign for it, that way you have proof positive that he got it, then take him to small claims court if no lease appears.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 12:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would talk to the city. We have a rental "committee" (can't think of the right word) here in town that makes sure that the laws are followed. Because we have rental assisted housing, we would lose our assistance if we pulled something like that. All of our tenants receive a copy of the lease and the rule book the day they move in. And I can get them additional copies within two days of the request.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 5:48 PM on Jan. 16, 2009