What does the Bible say about assistance?

From government assistance to communities and parents helping each other.... Please provide chapter/verse.

I see so many hateful posts basically saying low income people shouldn't have children. Obviously money (and marriage) are not required to conceive. I recognize many of the antagonists as self-proclaimed Christians. Since my recollection of what Jesus taught is very different from what I read, I would like those who are familiar with their Bibles to please enlighten me. Thanks!

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 10:01 AM on Feb. 1, 2012 in Religious Debate

• Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• "If there be amongst you a needy man from amongst your brethren within any of your gates in your land which the Eternal your God gives you, you shall not harden your heart nor close your hand from your needy brother. You must definitely open your hand to him, and must definitely lend him on pledge sufficient for the needs in which he is lacking" (Deuteronomy 15:7,8)"

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• needy doesn't refer to having MORE kids after you already are ON assistance

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:10 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• Proverbs 14:31 He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God.

Matthew 25:45 He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me."

1 John 3:17 But if anyone has the world's goods and sees his brother in need, yet closes his heart against him, how does God's love abide in him?

Deuteronomy 15:7 If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother.

James 2:16 If one of you says to him, "Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it?

Proverbs 19:17 He who is kind to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will reward him for what he has done.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• It says if a man doesn't work he shall not eat.

2 Thess 3:10

jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:31 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• However it's cherrypicking my dear.
    You need to read the whole Bible before you can decipher what God reveals to YOU how you should handle a poor person in your path.
    Now...go and be enlightened.
    You're welcome.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:32 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• Difference between poor and lazy.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• I agree that the Bible tells us to help those in need but I do not believe that God expects us to continually help those who will not help themselves. We will give someone our last can of food or the last pari of socks we have - ONCE then if they keep mooching without looking for ways to help themselves or if they continue to mkae thier situation worse then no, we wont.

Many Churches dont even follow the Bible in this way- if you are not doing for them , they are not doing for you. So, we take it case by case and do what we can when we can.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 10:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2012

• Yes, I agree.
    There is a difference before poor and lazy.
    maybe the OP should make a separate post for how people would help the
    1. truly poor
    2. truly lazy
    Who gets to decide who is being lazy?
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 10:37 AM on Feb. 1, 2012