Muscle pain from working out

My new years resolution was to get back in shape. I have been exercising for a half hour every day. I had been fine until the other day I did a ton of jumping jacks, leaving my calfs in awful pain, and I did push-ups one day which now has my arms and shoulders in pain. I cant lift my arms over my head and it kills to walk down the stairs. I have a 7 month old daughter and I am scared carrying her down the stairs because it feels like my calves are going to give out and Im going to fall. I have to work today in a couple hours. Does anyone have any way to relieve this pain ? I cant take a bath because I have noone to watch the baby for me and she isnt due for a nap until after I leave.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• No hun, only time will heal it. It's a good thing...it means you're actually making progress. Do you have a sling? If so I'd say just wrap her in it so you don't have to even use your arms to carry her.

Don't let this make you stop!!! After your body gets used to being pushed like this the "pain" goes away or is less frequent. I love that pain...it hurts so good!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 10:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• the best thing you can do is stretch! take today and do a light workout, basically get your body warmed up for about 15 minutes. then take the second half of your 30 minute workout and stretch stretch stretch!! youre not cheating your workout, stretching is actually an extrememly important part of working out. i was in dance since i was 3 and i learned over the years that the best way to not be sore the next day was to stretch before a workout and especially after a workout. when you exercise, you build up muscles and if theyre not properly stretched thats when you get sore. so you may want to extend your workout time to 45 minutes just so you can stretch thoroughly and this will prevent sorenes!! ( sorry, i sound like a repeating record with the word stretch, but it really does help lol)
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have to somewhat disagree with the answers above. Yes, some muscle pain is good but what it sounds like what you did is strained your muscles. You overexerted them. I have to say that I would not do any exercise until you have healed. This would be best in my opinion.This is my advice for you...Warm-up your muscles before and after any exercise. You should take at least 10-15mins stretching. I cannot say that enough. Look-up on Webmd for muscle strains and you will get more info there. There is a lot of info on warming up on the net if your not sure how. For help with the pain you can try the following: take 1 tsp baking soda put it in with one cup of warm water and drink it. It doesn't taste the best but have done it and it does help me. My mother fell down a flight of stairs once and she took this. She was not sore at all the next day.
    SgrplmsnSnflwrs

Answer by SgrplmsnSnflwrs at 12:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• IT IS NOT ALWAYS THE SIGN YOUR ARE DOING IT RIGHT. REST WILL TAKE CARE OF IT, BUT SOMETIMES MUSCLES HURT BECAUSE OF IMPROPER FORM IN EXCERCISE

Answer by older at 12:12 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Drink plenty of water and keep your muscle tissue hydrated, this help relieve muscle pain. Also a good muscle lotion reliever like Shaklee's muscle and joint cream works wonders on those aches and pains
    Jennielee_1975

Answer by Jennielee_1975 at 4:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009