HELP: My daughter doesnt want to try new things

My daughter is 4 years old and Ive noticed when i try to get her to try new things, sometimes she doesn't want to. usually its with learning things or things that to her may be kind of scary (like bike riding, or skating). I've tried to kind of find out why she doesn't want to try, and i think it may be she's afraid of not doing it right or messing up. Ive tried encouraging words and things like that, but it doesn't always work, and sometimes it only works the first time, but then she doesn't want to try again. does anyone have any advice on how i can kind of get her to open up to trying new things? i dont want this to be a life long issue with her, and i want to break her out of it while shes young. any suggestions would be very greatly appreciated!

VLlano1982

Asked by VLlano1982 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i would say start by finding out what she really likes. it seems like she has confidence issues which is totally normal and nothing to worry about! i had kids like that in my classroom when i taught preschool. the main thing i did was figured out what their passions were and went from there. some kids loved singing, so we would learn things through song. then i would have them all sing infront of eachother so they could gain confidence that way. same thing with dancing, or dinosaurs. you want to find something that she loves and that shes confident in and teach her using that passion. when you do that she will completely forget about her insecurities and continue on with waht your doing! good luck!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:02 AM on Jan. 16, 2009