10 yo does not believe in god

Morning all. I have a ten year old son. We do read the bible, but we dont go to church. He goes with his dad on the weekends. I talk to him often about god. And he is very mean about the subject. He tells me he does not believe in this so called god I talk about. and goes as far to say God is stupid.. I get so upset with him. I always tell him about all the good things god has done for us. He just does not want to talk about it. Any Ideas on how to help him...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hmmm....that's a toughy. Why doesn't he believe? Have you asked him. That would be my first question to him....him may have a very valid reason for not believing or something may have happened or been said to him to make him feel this way.
    anetrnlov

Answer by anetrnlov at 10:18 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You shouldn't force your beliefs on any one else. Even your own children. You know now that he doesn't want to talk or believe in GOD. Stop talking to him about it. Stop forcing it on him. Later on in life he might come around to how you believe.

Answer by louise2 at 10:19 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Please send me a message, I'd really like to talk to you about this =)
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:20 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I would just try not to be forceful. My parents forced me into going to church and reading the bible and really all it did was push me further away. It made me associate church and God as a bad thing. I think you should let it go for awhile and attempt it again in a few years. You may be surprised to find that he will seek God once you dont talk about it anymore. Just my idea but really you need to do what you feel is best for your child. Good luck!
    YoungMomtoGirls

Answer by YoungMomtoGirls at 10:26 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• like above poster said, I would ask why he doesn't believe in God. I would also tell him he is entitled to believe what he wants because he is his own person, but if he ever wants to talk about it, that you will be there to answer any questions he may have.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I agree about just ask him why he feels that way. Maybe he doesn't like the God the church is talking about. I wouldn't be too forceful about it or even to take it personally. He's sort of at that "rebel" stage so he could just be testing you. LIke I said I would ask him why he feels that way and then I would just say, "Just because you don't believe in God, God believes in you" and leave it at that.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Give him some time and try not to force it on him. Allow him to have his feelings and then try again later to discuss the matter. The more you get upset the worse the situation will get. Maybe like the pp said he is wanting to be his own person. It could be a phase. Give him space and allow him to have his feelings. He may suprise you later on.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:50 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• There really is no help... I had church basically forced on me from the time I was in 2nd grade till I was in 10th grade, and I'd already decided by the time I was your son's age that I didn't believe in god (I kind of do, I more or less don't identify with organized religion).
    I know he's young, but it's his own decision to make.
    Kassey713

Answer by Kassey713 at 10:55 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• They go through stages.Stacey was an atheist,then a wiccan and now he is a strong march for Christ kind of kid.If he chooses to stay atheist ,then let him.You have taught him about your faith,whether he follows it or not HAS to be left up to him.
    I think my son said it best"Mom,you can lay the foundation and build the building,whether it stands the test of time or not depends on what it goes through and how well it is tended"
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 11:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Continue to read the bible to him. When he calls God names explain to him that you love God and it hurts you when he calls God names and ask him not to say it to you anymore. Also, at a time when you're not talking about God or reading the bible to him... in casual conversation ask him why he feels God is stupid etc. Maybe you can determine where he got this feeling from. It could be from another friend who has said it to him, a tv show, etc. Also.. there's a bible verse that says - Train up a child in the way they should go and when they are old they will not depart from it.
    God bless and hope this helps
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 11:23 AM on Jan. 16, 2009