Am I too affectionate with my kids?

My 2.5 year old son has always been a very affectionate. He’s big on asking for cuddles, hugs and kisses every day. Since he’s been that way since birth, I’m very used to it, in turn I often ask him for cuddles, hugs and kisses, which he usually gives willingly(unless he’s busy in some oh-so-important toddler activity). We have never confined this behavior (hugging, kissing, and cuddling)to the house. At playdates I often give him hugs and kisses, or he’ll sit on my lap for a while then happily go off and play with his friends. But I’ve noticed that other moms don’t do this with their little ones. So is this weird? Am I unnaturally affectionate with my kids? Should I not to do this as much in public? Or should I just enjoy it while my kids are still young enough to let me “love on them”? And especially those who know me, what do you think... are we to affectionate? Or am I just over analyzing this?

LelandsMommy

Asked by LelandsMommy at 10:34 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Wow, lots of replies and I don't feel like reading them all. I hope they were positive or helpful, though.
    My 2-cents worth, though, is this: Do not feel bad about it. It is not wrong. Enjoy it for as long as you can because when they get older they won't even want to have you near them when you have to take them shopping for school clothes or walking through the mall...LOL. Then they become loveable to their moms once again when they are adults.
    I think nurturing the love in boys is a wonderful way to raise nurturing and caring men.
    :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:29 AM on Jan. 18, 2009

• Hm, I'm interested in the replies. You just described me and my 2 year old son! I'd never really thought about it before though.
    ilovemyjoes

Answer by ilovemyjoes at 10:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well at least I know I'm not alone
    LelandsMommy

Answer by LelandsMommy at 10:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i don't see anything wrong with this :)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• at least your kissing them and not hitting them
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You described my son and I also....I'm not stopping because other mom's don't know what they missing out on :]
    MrsSethRussell

Answer by MrsSethRussell at 10:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i am the same way with my kids...i say enjoy it while it lasts because when they get older they may get to embarrased to hug or kiss their mother in public...especially in front of their friends.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 10:42 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Their will be a time, when your children won't even want to be in the same room with you, more or less get a hug or kiss from you. Get all the affection while they will let you.

Answer by louise2 at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I am the same way. I have noticed that many parents don't get as affectionate. Maybe they feel weird or maybe they just believe it will spoil them. I don't know?!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i tell my kids a million times a day I love them and always hug and kiss them. I don't think you can ever "love or hug" your kids enough. My 10 yr. old DS is atarting to pull away from me if I take him to oe meet him at the bus stop and try to give him a hug or kiss in front of his friends lol
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 10:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2009