Did anyone's dogs start "acting out" as your pregnancy progressed?

My dogs are usually VERY good! Potty trained (they even ring a bell when they need to go outside), listen to the commands I give them (sit, stay, ect...) but lately they have been shredding tissues, peeing on the floor, and barking a lot. HELP!!! Has anyone noticed this in your own pets? My parents think it is the pregnancy, but I am freaking out!!

babyruby02

Asked by babyruby02 at 10:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pets

• My Pomeranian got really clingy during the pregnancy and we got a pupy a few weeks before my dd was born. They both tried chewing on baby things (but nothing else oddly). It got really bad after she was born and we brought her home. It took some time for them to adjust, but now they are fine. They let her pull their fur and don't even flinch. Dogs are territorial by nature and resist change. They can sense a difference in you and possibly their environment. As long as they are getting cosistant attention, and discipline when they act out, they will adjust and probably love your little one just as much as you.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 11:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It could be many things. Could you, as your pregnancy progresses, not have been walking them as much? Or paying a little less attention to them? Most of the time a dog acts out like that is that they have too much energy and thats how it comes out. Are you able to walk them while your pregnant? Or have someone else do it for you? Mine didnt act out, she is a german shepherd, but she isn't an extremely active dog. Good luck though!!
    ItalianMomma04

Answer by ItalianMomma04 at 11:06 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I rarely walk them. We go to the dog park every saturday, and we have a LARGE and I mean LARGE property that they roam and run! I play frisbee with them, ball etc... ALL the time!! I am just SO puzzled!
    babyruby02

Answer by babyruby02 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I don't have dogs, but our cat started peeing all over the house as my son got older and more mobile. Didn't care about the pregnancy, though. But my son, on the other hand...he's throwing more and more tantrums as the days go by. Makes sense dogs would do it, too.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My dogs did not really do anything before the baby was born. After my kids got here they would pee on anything that smelled of baby if left on the floor. That went on for a week or two after each of my kids got here. My cats did get really weird when I was pregnant though. They peed all over the place. It got the the point that they were locked in the laundry room for a while until they went in the cat box EVERY time. Animals definitely know something is going on and I believe that some of them can even sense the hormone shifts.

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 3:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• When I was pregnant I noticed a change in my pets' behavior also. It was different from yours, though. My dog began to literally guard my stomach. He'd lay his head on it, growl when someone went to touch it, etc. And he started following me (always on my heals) wherever I went. My cat actually started paying attention to me, lol. He's never really let me pet or hold him unless he wanted food. Now he "talks", cuddles and everything else.
    rafasconejita

Answer by rafasconejita at 1:38 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• it sounds corney but i believe dogs DO have a 6th sense. your dogs are probably over excited that you are making them a new play thing, and/or they are jealous and worried you wont pay them the same amount of attn to them affter you have him/her. I wouldnt worry too much, buy them some bones (not rawhide- bad for their stomach) or chewy things. It may help.
    MamaMudd7

Answer by MamaMudd7 at 1:51 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• yeah...my dog is different since I got pregnant. She sniffs me all the time. My belly, my boobs, my face. She didnt do that at all till I was about 6 months pregnant. Now at 33.5 weeks along, she wont leave my side. I sit on the couch she cuddles right next to me. I get up to go to the bathroom and she is waiting for me at the door. She seems to be much more needy (she was really needy in the first place) than what she use to be. It use to be my husband that she was attached at the hip to, now it seems to be me. My best friend has a dog and now that she is pregnant, she licks her belly all the time.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:48 AM on Jan. 18, 2009