How much milk should i be giving my 17month old?

We are working on him trying to eat table good, which he wont eat any of the normals foods that kida like. Anyway, i give him about 8oz per meal time and only one thing of juice in the afternoon for snack time. Should i give him less mild per meal or just start giving him more juice or water?

Hes not really ready to eat table food yet.

He has ceral in the morning with milk.

Lunch i try pj and things like that but he just gives it to the dogs and i eat it. So he ends up eating yogert or crakers and milk and sometimes fruit.

He has a nice snack of goldfish crakers or puffs with 10 oz of juice watered down a little.

Dinner time i give him some smash potatos, some vegs, he normal doesnt eat the vegs so ill give him some baby good with some fruit with milk.

Smashgal

Asked by Smashgal at 10:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• every kid is different, and their eating habits will change over time. for now, try holding off on the milk when you give him food. this way, he wont rely on the milk as a food source. I used to do this with kids when i worked in daycare all the time, and it worked wonders!! if youre concerned about nutrition, you can get him some pediasure. my niece is the same way as your son. she wont eat anything!! but her doc even said its totally normal for kids to go through these spurts. so i would say hold off on the milk at meal times to encourage him to eat, and he will start eating soon enough
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I'd talk to your doctor since he isn't eating a balanced diet. He's not getting the nutrition he needs from what you've listed. He may want you to either put him back on formula until he's eating properly or add a vitamin.

Where is his protein? He's getting plenty of dairy...and the crackers can be for his grains, but that's all he's eating....

But in answer to your question....our pediatrician told me to give my boys 20-24oz per day at that age. But they were eating a (fairly) balanced and varied diet of table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Just went in for a check up today with my 15 month old son. The Dr recommended only 16-20 oz of milk a day. He said a lot of kids overdrink milk at this age which causes them to under eat, because they are full on milk. I thought my son wasn't drinking enough and was happy to know he is.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 10:52 AM on Jan. 16, 2009