Sewing Machine Recommendations?

I'm looking for any recommendations you crafty sewing goddesses may have on the type of machine I should get. I need something that's easy to use as I am basically a beginner but I want something that will function well for everything from simple dresses for my dd to quilting and working with thicker fabrics (possibly even leather etc.) once I get the hang of things. What do you use? Have a favorite brand? Things I should look for? Thanks for any suggestions or tips!

whittear

Asked by whittear at 10:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I have 2 MOntgomery Ward brands and they both work great!! But if I was going to buy another one ever it would be Singer. I would stay away from Walmart brands, I had one and it only worked for a couple of weeks before it wouldn't sew anymore!! Maybe I just got a bad one I don't know:)
    Kadiddlehopper

Answer by Kadiddlehopper at 11:15 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• my favorite brand of all time is Singer! I love my machine. i have sewed everything on it! from silk up to capri sun pouches! (i make purses out of capri sun packages they rock lol) but i have never had a problem with my machine and i can go right from soft material and switch the needle over to a heavy denim and not have a problem!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 10:58 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My first machine was a Brother, which I still have. I also have a White portable machine and a White serger. I have gotten really good service from all of them. I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference and what you intend to do on one.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:20 PM on Jan. 17, 2009

• My grandmother uses a Kenmore from Sears, I use her's all the time and I love it. She taught me to sew with that one so it's easy for a beginner.
    CaseyErin

Answer by CaseyErin at 11:40 PM on Jan. 19, 2009

• Singers are junk. Get a Janome or Bernina.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jan. 20, 2009

• I strongly suggest going to a sewing machine dealer. They will let you try all the machines. They will have many different price ranges. Some dealers even have used machines that are more cost effective. They will also be a big help after you buy your machine from answering questions and service for your machine. And... if you really like sewing they will often take your machine on a trade for an upgrade! BONUS!!!
    steamtrain1003

Answer by steamtrain1003 at 11:48 PM on Jan. 20, 2009