Is my son falling behind?

My son is 6 months old he will be 7 months on Jan. 23rd. He still isn't crawling or sitting up on his own yet. Is this ok?

farfalla225

Asked by farfalla225 at 11:00 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think my younger son was about 7 months when he finally started sitting up on his own, but he was crawling on his belly by then. He was just one of those babies that did things in his own time when he felt like it, he's 2 now and is right where he is supposed to be developmentally. I'm sure your son is fine, but if you're worried about it you can always call his doctor.
    whittear

Answer by whittear at 11:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• yes, it;s ok. Ignore any baby book that says they "should" be doing such and such by now. My daughter did not crawl until 9 months, she could sit unsupported at 4.5 months, she could sit up on her own until she was crawling either. It really isn't a big deal.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Each child is different. Don't get discouraged. He/she will start when they are ready.
    MeeShee

Answer by MeeShee at 11:04 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Children start things at all different ages. My oldest walked when she was 11 months old, my youngest when she was 9 months old. There was a girl at the pedi the other day that was 13 months that wasn't pulling herself up. If you are questioning it, then call the pedi-the he isn't worried about it then I wouldn't be either.
    Lacey1012

Answer by Lacey1012 at 11:05 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My daughter is 8 1/2 months and she isn't crawling. She sits up if we sit her there, but she can't sit up on her own yet either. You have no reason to worry momma.
    lmh3820

Answer by lmh3820 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Discuss this matter with your pediatrician, he or she should be able to tell you your baby's progress. Sounds normal to me though. Don't worry so much, farfalla. I'm sure your baby is fine.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:09 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• never ever ever listen to anything that says "your baby should be doing this by this age" its all crap!! right now, encourage him to sit up by sitting on the floor with him. sit him up and balance him, slowly youll be able to remove your hands and he'll be able to do it all on his own!! dont listen to anyone who tells you nay differently about milestones! especially because a year from now, whos going to give two craps whether or not he was sitting up at 7 months old!! its not going to make or break his application to harvard lol! dont worry yourself hun, hes perfectly normal!!
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 11:13 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Definitely not! Just help him with only a finger in each hand pulling himself up and stuff, and he'll figure out how to do it himself in time. We spend about 30 minutes twice a day trying to teach our son to crawl, by putting his passy just barely out of his reach. Sometimes you have to help them realize what they have to do before they can do it. Just keep trying. He'll get it in time. And be grateful he's not moving around on his own, yet, because then you can't get anything done because you're spending all of your time watching him!
    ktrog

Answer by ktrog at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2009