best breast pump >>

hey i am planning to breast feed ( yay) and i need to get a pump b/c i will have to go back to work around her 8 week mark and also want other people to experience feeding her, so i am wondering about pumps i need to buy one asap and wondering which brands have worked best for everyone.. and doubles are like 100 more are they really worth it? please help thank you

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 11:03 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would definitley suggest getting an electric one as opposed to a manual one. I had the medela double electric pump and it was excellant, but cost over $200, it was a gift from my mother. This may be a little personal, but I found it very hard to pump both breasts at one time, I think it was because I am very large breasted and found that when I was pumping I needed one hand to hold the pump and one hand to support my breast. Pumping time for each breast is about 15 minutes(on average) so a double would save time if you are pumping on your lunch break from work. The hospital will have a double elecrtic pump, maybe you could use their's while in the hospital and see if you are comfortable with using the double before you spend the extra money.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 11:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I have the Ameda breast pump which was a little over $200, but just think of ALL the money you're saving by not buying formula. The ameda also offers bigger cup sizes if you are larger than the so called average. It is a double pump and I would totally suggest it!!
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 12:59 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Oh, and you'll probably have to buy it online, I couldn't find any stores that offer it.
    julipickle

• I have two different breast pumps...a Medela Pump In Style ($279) and the Lansinoh Double Electric ($150). I can't tell a difference, as far as how much I'm able to pump. The Lansinoh allows you to adjust both speed and suction, and the Medela doesn't. But the Medela comes with a bag, and is easier to keep in good shape. It depends on your price range, but both of these are good pumps. Whatever you get, make sure it's a double electric- way worth the money, and much cheaper than formula.
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 1:20 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I happily used a Medela Pump in Style, which DOES allow you to adjust speed/suction. Nobody will know that you're carrying a breast pump in to work because it is in such a discreet bag. I was quite happy with it. It takes only 10 minutes to empty both breasts. It would take forever to use a hand pump to do that, and the hand pumps are so hard on your hands and nowhere near as good at extracting the milk. Buy extra bottles and use the quick steam clean bags to make cleaning faster and easier. Definitely get an electric double pump. Hopefully you can get a tutorial on how to use your pump from the store where you get it; I got mine at our locally owned mother and baby store and she gave me great tips. You can also get a hand's free attachment, which I've never used but have friends who loved theirs. Lansinoh storage bags are best.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:49 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I recently read a LOT of reviews, and it seems that the Medela Pump in Style and the Lansinoh double electric pump are compared to each other all the time - personally I went with the Lansinoh and lucked out as the Target store near me had it on clearance for $103 (it usually retails around $148). It has several different speeds so you can find what is right for you and other than a beeping sound I have not read one negative thing about it. Good luck! :)
    jspaghetti

Answer by jspaghetti at 3:51 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• i went to wic and they gave me a great pump a 300$ dollar pump,purley yours
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 9:33 AM on Jan. 17, 2009