How can I get a ADHD 7 y.o. little girl to sleep at night?

She takes Vyvanse 30 mg 1 pill every morning

birdiegirl

Asked by birdiegirl at 11:16 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in General Parenting

• Oh girl I have the same problem, only its me that is the person living with ADHD. You need to talk to her doctor. First, I can't say enough about that the person who needs to be prescribing is a pediatric psychiatrist. If it is not, please consider seeing one. I work in this field and it makes a difference who you go to. A pediatrician is an in general practitioner but ADHD is a very specific medical diagnosis and needs a specialized doctor. Okay...off my soap box....I have the same problem. But I also take an anti-anxiety which makes me sleepy. So I take both at the same time and when they start to wear off at the same time I'm able to wind down. I cannot take my Vyvance by itself. cont....

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• cont...I will say that Vyvanse was the only medication I have used. Most of the clients I worked with, the young kids, tried at least 5 or 6 before they found the one that was right for them. Sometimes they got it right the first time around. No medication should still be around after it says it is done. Vyvanse says 12 hours but for me I can tell it is closer to 13 or 14. So I know I have to wake up early to make sure I can have it out of my body for that day. Consult with the doctor because (I don't want to say how here) there are ways to break up that 30mg - at least the psychiatrist I work with has told me how I can lessen the dose. Don't do that unless you are told to. Ask about what can be done so that by the time she is ready to call it a night she is still not wired. If she is consistently, this particular theraputic treatment may not be the best.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:41 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I know a lady who has two boys with ADHD and she gives them Melatonin at night. It's a natural herb supplement. She says it works.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 12:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I also use melatonin on my 6 year old daughter. She would stay up until midnight until I started using it. Try to find it in 1mg though. I know places like Whole Foods and Vitamin Cottage have orange flavored lozenges that you put under the tongue to melt. My daughter actually doesn't mind them. But I can only find those in 2.5 mg so I usually cut it in half. You may want to ask her doc about it before you try it. Melatonin is naturally occuring in the body and is actually what triggers us to want to go to sleep. Some people either do not produce enough of it, or don't produce it at all. So using it may be helpful to her especially if she may not be producing enough melatonin on her own.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:27 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You can also try to help her naturally wind down. With my daughter we made sure we pretty much stuck to the same routine. Come home from school, play for 20 minutes, do homework, eat, play, lay down and watch some TV that was a calm/boring show, warm bath, cuddle and watch a little more of a calm show and off to bed about 9:30. She didn't need as much sleep as the other children.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The doctor gave me liquid Benadryl to give to her at night even tho told the doctor that Benadryl doesn't have any affect on her ... They said if it doesn't work come back in... So pretty much that was wasted trip into the doctors office
    birdiegirl

Answer by birdiegirl at 6:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009