giving birth

when giving birth what is best a c section or down below? this will be my first baby and im kinda small

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• A c-section is major abdominal surgery. I'd avoid it at all costs. I'm 5 feet 2 and 110 pounds, and I gave birth just fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:30 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I too am 5'2" and have had three kids naturally, down there...drugs I got...but some people are all for natural. It depends on the person I guess..:)
    Unbroken_Amanda

Answer by Unbroken_Amanda at 11:32 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I had a vaginal delivery with my first child and just has a csection with our twins. They both have their pros and cons, but I would talk to your doctor about your concerns. The vaginal delivery was not bad, but I was in labor for several hours. With the csection, I was in surgery for less than an hour, but I'm still having slight pain (the pain meds help though). Your doctor will tell you if they think that a vaginal delivery is not possible though and I would think that most wouldn't just do a csection unless it was necessary to the health of you or the baby. Good luck though
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:33 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Sweetie, a c-section is MAJOR surgery. Delivering "down below" is natural, it has nothing to do with your size. Unless your OB tells you can can't deliver vaginally everything will be fine, and even then I would get a second opinion. I had an emergency c-section and then an elective one after because I didn't want to try a VBAC. It was no walk in the park!
    4Girls1truLove

Answer by 4Girls1truLove at 11:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Well, you can't ask what is best....it's whatever will happen for YOU! I thought I was going to have the baby naturally, but, I ended up having a csection...the baby was too big (for my canal) to fit through. Plus, I had a very slow progress, didn't dialate all the way... So, for me... I would say whichever way you have the baby is fine. You still have to recover from delivery. Soon you'll have a baby to cradle in your arms. You'll be fine whatever happens. Good luck and Don't worry! You're having a baby, YAY, Congrats!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 11:35 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Talking to people who have gone through both I'm glad I had a vaginal birth. Halfway through I was begging for a c-section but I'm glad they wouldn't do it. My recovery was a lot faster than my SIL's and cousin's who both had c-sections.
    afeggan

Answer by afeggan at 11:38 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I am 5'2" and I gave birth naturally with NO drugs to a 9lb baby...in 3 hours! I normal weight like 110lbs! I def woudn't opt for a c-section unless it's medically necessary. It's a major surgery, while although giving birth is no walk in the park, you heal relatively quickly and there's less risks.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 11:45 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• A local birthing center out here did a natural birth and the baby came out to be 12 lbs, 4 oz! I don't think there really is such a thing as being "too small". Your baby grows to the size of your body, almost like a goldfish grows to his tank. I've talked to women who's doctors told them their baby was "too big" to be delivered and were talked into a c-section, but later one they were so traumatized they went on to have home births and delivered babies (sometimes even larger) just fine.
    In the end, it all comes down to you. You may choose to have a vaginal birth and something comes up where a cesarean is needed- but my smallest client was 4'9" and delivered a 7lb baby like it was nothing. She was up and walking around within hours!
    littlemrsmarcel

Answer by littlemrsmarcel at 11:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• ah i feel short =( yet im 17 and 4'9 maybe now 5'0"
    lol,i used to weigh 95!!! now im 128 =)
    im trying to go for the natural birth with no c sections..i think you can do it =)
    misty91

Answer by misty91 at 11:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I had a c-section and it was definitely no big deal at all. I healed very quickly, recovery was a breeze.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 16, 2009