does your newborn cross their eyes alot?

This may sound stupid, but seriously, anybody else see their baby doing this? We have twins that are a week and a half old. I haven't noticed it in our baby boy, but our baby girl seems to have her eyes crossed alot. I know they are very little, but I guess I'm just a worry wart!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 11:29 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If at 6 months she is still doing it, talk to your pediatrician about seeing a pediatric eye specialist....or if it seems extreme, start bringing it up now.

Lazy eye is nothing to mess with, and I'm not saying that's what it is!!! But if caught early, there' s a better chance of correction! And yes...it can be caught in infants.

I have one son with strabismus...glasses are correcting his crossing. I have another with lazy eye (amblyopia) and he just had surgery last December to correct it. (first sign of it appeared 6 months prior)

It is normal for their eyes to cross...to a certain degree!! Often they appear to be crossing but are not really...due to the fat on the bridge of the nose creating an optical illusion.

Keep a close eye on it. (no pun intended)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:03 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• my daughter did that often the first few weks! shes 2months now and doesnt do it anymore. the doc told me its normal
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 11:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• This is normal up until about 3 or 4 months old.

Have you heard of the Infant See program? It's a free eye exam program for all infants in their first year. They prefer to see babies after 6 months is there isn't a problem.
    www.InfantSee.org
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My daughter used to do it almost every time she opened her eyes. She's three weeks today and still does it a few times a day. It's really cute =]
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:53 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• My 2 month old daughter does that...and has since she was born. The pediatrician says that its normal. You know how they can't really control their arm and leg movements?, well its the same thing with their eyes. They don't intend to cross them, its just something they can't control...She'll grow out of it. Its the cutest thing when my LO does it!
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 12:25 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• my mom says my son crosses his eyes but i havent seen it. he also does this thing where he falls asleep with his eyes open and his eyeballs roll back in his head but then he closes them... i think its a newborn thing and i try not to worry
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:30 PM on Jan. 16, 2009