Cat in heat... what to do?

My SO and I are cat sitting for a friend, and the cat is female and has been in heat since Tuesday. We have 2 cats of our own already (1 male, 1 female, both neutered/spayed) so I have never dealt with one in heat before. She won't stop whining/meowing all day and night, and walks funny and squirms on the floor. Is there anything I can do to help the cat calm down or quit meowing, or do I need to just wait it out?

Amanda_Jeanne

Asked by Amanda_Jeanne at 11:36 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Pets

• As the previous poster said, the cat will continue to go into heat until she is bred or spayed. Cats are induced ovulators. This means cats will not ovulate until they breed. (This is also why they can have kittens by different dads because the ovluate everytime they breed). Without ovulating, the menstrual cycle cannot complete. When the owner gets back, advise them to spay the cat ASAP. Not only will it stop the heat cycles, but also reduces her chances of developing reproductive cancer, and mammory cancer in the future.
    Anonymous

• Unfortunately no, and I dont know how long you have the cat, but she will continue to go in and out of heat until she is impregnated or spayed. Sorry . . .

2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 11:39 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• You're going to have to unfortunately wait it out...I'd give your friend a little talkin to as well..*laughs* Please encourage her to have her kitty spayed ASAP.. good luck. Cats in heat are never anything but annoying as all get out
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 11:44 AM on Jan. 16, 2009