Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would I be able to??

Okay so I am going thru a Custody case right now, and I am pretty much guarenteed full pysical custody, with joint legal custody. Will that prevent me from being able to move about 200 miles away from the babies father??? Its in the same state. And I haven't mentioned this because I don't want it to affect getting custody, but after I have it would I be able to?? Anybody else gone thru this?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (8)
  • You should talk to your lawyer about this . It should be brang up in the custody hearing.

    Answer by louise2 at 11:40 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I wouldn't think so. I was granted full custody of my daughter...and 50/50 legal. In my case that meant he had to pay 1/2 her daycare-medical etc. But he also lived on the opposite side of the I'm not sure how that would effect your case. I would DEFINATELY bring it up to your not hold this back. It would look worse for you.

    Answer by Lacey1012 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • It definately depends on a lot of things. You need to bring it up to your lawyer. I know that in some custody hearings it is different. Mine, it matters. I cannot move out of state because of my husbands job (military) so it gets tricky there with visitation for him. My sister lives in all the way across the country from her husband and it didn't matter. (but her ex is a scumbag who has only seen her son like 2 times his whole life) So it depends on the case!! GOOD LUCK!!

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • If you try to get full custody by being dishonest, the court will find out eventually and the judge will never trust you again. So I would be upfront with everyone about this and it they think its in the best interest of your child to move him 200 miles away from his father, they will permit it.

    Answer by JustAMom2008 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • I believe that as long as you are still in the state it won't have any bearing in the proceedings. I'm fairly certain that it is only a problem if you were attempting to move out of state.

    Answer by micrespo at 12:19 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • If you are going for stuff like a job or something like that than yes you can but they have to know about it first but if you are doing it just to take the kids away from the father than no you can't.

    Answer by teresalangston at 12:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • Talk to your lawyer, but i believe as long as it is within the same state that it is ok. If the dad has visitation rights, most times, either he will have to come to where you are to pick up the child, or you and he would have to meet have way to make the exchange. So, if you are moving two hundred miles away, at scheduled visits, he would drive 100 miles and you would drive 100 miles to an agreed destination and the switch would take place there.
    Do talk to an attorney though, because the laws in different states are different.

    Answer by lighthousemom3 at 12:39 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

  • In California you can't move any distance from the other parent without their consent.

    Answer by kathyartist2007 at 3:15 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.