Do you take Melatonin to fall asleep at night? Have you heard of it?

_Jill_

Asked by _Jill_ at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Health

• I used to, but since my daughter is only three weeks old, I can't take the chance that I won't be able to wake up fast enough when she's crying at night : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:51 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I do when I need to reset my sleep cycles. Its not something that has needed to be taken long term for me. I take it until I'm feeling confident in my ability to get to sleep on my own, then stop. When I do take it, I take 3 mg a night for a couple of weeks. Re-establishing a bedtime routine also helps.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:13 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I take it every night due to insomia...a side effect from synthroid. It helps keeps me asleep. I also take something else to help put me to sleep. I been using it for a year. They have been a life saver. Who can survive on little sleep?
    countrylove3

Answer by countrylove3 at 12:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• yeah, my hubby and I use it every once in awhile if we're up late and get a second wind. ...it feels like you're just naturally drifting off to sleep, and I don't feel groggy in the am.
    _Jill_

Answer by _Jill_ at 12:24 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I use it when I get nightmares from using nicoderm patches. it holds them at bay
    archaeodani

Answer by archaeodani at 12:37 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• my dr suggested it to me causes i asked her for sleeping pills but i havent gotten any yet

but i was over at my gf house the other day and she give it to her kids, she said her doc said it was ok. like 3milligrams i dont know anything about it but was kinda worried
    LuciensMom

Answer by LuciensMom at 4:04 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• What is it never hear of it??
    Darlene
    lunchlady25

Answer by lunchlady25 at 4:09 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• It's a natural alternative to sleep meds. I have taken it for years. I also take La-Tryptophan and Seritonin... They work wonders. But you have to take them EVERY night. Because they are natual they have to build up in your system to work best. So don't try it once and figure it doesn't work... They will just give it time.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009