How can i get my new baby to stop crying?

He's 6 days old, ive fed him and changed him,burped him,walked around the house rocking him. I just dont know what else to try.

NewAngel011009

Asked by NewAngel011009 at 11:43 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• are you nursing? or formula? he could be gassy. have you tried bicycling his legs? or rubbing his tummy?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:46 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Some times you just have to let them cry they are so used to being held or touched they want it all the time, but to get a break for a few moments let them cry they are probably going to cry forever but you need a few minutes to yourself. Just check in on them every once in awhile. You are not being a bad mom if you do this it will help you keep your self sane. GLbaby boybaby girl

Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 11:47 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• just keep holding rocking, bouncing in ur arms. u could try a swing or vibrating seat if u have one or a ride in the car. my son hates the swing and likes me bouncing him in my armsbut soometimes he just cries for no reason. they say a warm bath will help but my son hates baths most newborns hate being naked. just keep trying and hoping for the best. u can just lt him cry but i dont, i will stop everything ad hold him for hours cuz i cant see him cry it breaks my heart but its up to u
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 12:29 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Have you tried swaddling him? My little girl screamed for 3 hrs straight one night and I could NOT figure out what was wrong (she was only a couple days old). So I called my mom and she came over, swaddled her, and she passed right out and slept through the night. :-)
    You can also try holding him in a different position, see what he likes. Cradle him, lay him upwards on your chest, sit him up on your thigh...Just keep on trying different things until you find something he likes. Good luck, honey, I have definitely been there!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 12:38 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Lie down and hold him on your chest skin to skin. Or put him in his secure infant seat and place on top of the drier with it running. Newborns love white noise.

Snowcorgi
    Snowcorgi

Answer by Snowcorgi at 1:02 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Also try a car ride. He could be overly tired and not know how to wind down. Car rides always put my dd out when she was that little.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 1:16 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Also, if you are getting stressed or nervous about the crying, it could be making things worse. Babies are really good receivers for moms mood and emotions. If you find yourself being stressed and to the point you want to cry yourself, just swaddle the baby and put him in front of a white wall or at least a wall devoid of anything, (like in the hallway) and walk away for a little bit. He won't be feeding off your emotion and there isn't anything to look at and overstimulate him more then he already is. This way you both are taking a step back and getting calm. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 1:34 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Not uncommon. Sounds like he could be a bit colicky. Have you read the book "Happiest Baby on the Block"? I recomend it in this situation. It explains colic. I am still torn as to whether colic is relates to immature digestion system or whether it's that some little boys and girls just aren't ready to handle the big bad world yet. Anyway, I would go and get your self a swaddle. They make the real easy ones to use and you can buy them at babies r us. I would swaddle tightly, and then keep you r baby is swift motion, like if you have a rocking chair rock back and forth swiftly not softly or if you dont rock him in your arms not too fast and not too slow. You could also try some mylicon gas drops as well. I used gas drops and swaddled my son until he was 3 months old.....just remember this too will pass. if you need to walk awaya for a few mins, it is ok.
    Scoobersmom

Answer by Scoobersmom at 1:36 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I also recommend "Happiest Baby on the Block." It's also available as a DVD where he demonstrates the techniques.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 1:44 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• ok i think we got it figured out. the formula i was giving him had extra iron in it which was making him constipated. so we gave him another kind and he dirtied 2 diapers so hopefully now he will be ok. thank you all for your help, im glad i found this site this morning.
    NewAngel011009

Answer by NewAngel011009 at 4:23 PM on Jan. 16, 2009