what can i feed my two yr old?he has the stomach flu,,

there is no more vomiting only stomachache and diahrrea. all he's been drinking is gatorade

rosepetalluv

Asked by rosepetalluv at 11:54 AM on Jan. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Try some toast.
    BubblesB

Answer by BubblesB at 11:56 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Crackers, chicken broth, popsickles.

Anything that is a "clear" liquid is good. Just remember to have him eat it slowly and only a little bit at a time.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 11:59 AM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Stop the gatorade and give him water. The sugar in juice, pedialyte and gatorade make diarrhea worse.

Stick to carbs and starches. Bulk, bulk, bulk!! Breads, bananas, applesauce (but not apples) rice, pasta, potatoes (fries anyone? baked and blot to get oils off)

So...carbs and starches as he can tolerate.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:06 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• The soup from chicken noodle soup and crackers
    delta27

Answer by delta27 at 12:46 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Dr's always recommed the BRAT diet:
    B = Bananas
    R= Rice
    A= Applecause
    T= Toast

If Gotarade is all he will drink, it's beter than nothing, but try to get him to sip water. Even a Tablespoon at a time will really help! And, NO, NO milk until the diahrrea clears up.
    christyg

Answer by christyg at 1:11 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Just like the pp said- BRAT diet. Hope that helps. Stay away from milk and juice, just water, gaterade/pedialyte. Good Luck!
    cmlowery

Answer by cmlowery at 2:26 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Stop the gatorade, because the sugar in it will contribute to the diarrhea. Give him pedialyte or water instead (NOT juice). Let him eat whatever he will eat. I was just reading in Parents last night that the BRAT diet isn't really recommended anymore because it doesn't have enough protein in it, and that it's OK to let them eat what they want to eat as long as it's healthy food.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 2:32 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• Yes the brat diet all the way!! I had the brat diet myself this week... Now I am feeling much better...
    Darlene
    lunchlady25

Answer by lunchlady25 at 4:05 PM on Jan. 16, 2009

• I used the BRAT diet when my 14 month old had the stomach flu. The diarrhea slowed down within 2 days, and was gone within 4. Make sure he's drinking lots and lots of water. Every time he poops, give him a cup of water. My DD didn't want to drink water, really, even though she normally loves it. So I put a splash of Gatorade in her cup and that made her want to guzzle it down. If you are still breastfeeding, offer the breast as often as he is willing to take it.

When he is recuperating, take it easy with the diet. Start slowly offering other bland things. A week after DD started feeling better from the flu, she would only eat white foods: cauliflour, chicken, bread, rice, cheese . . . it was so wierd! She would throw anytthing with color on the floor, and eat everything white. lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:11 AM on Jan. 17, 2009

• To build child's immune system - consider this:

my kids were always sick - this year they are less sick. I give them 1 oz of bb - a whole food liquid organic supplement. Endorced by over 6000 doctors - I haven't had to give them breathing treatments in 9 + months and my middle son suffered from chronic diahrea since he was 1 1/2 and he has gained 2 lbs in 3 mon. and is 95% better.

my web-site www.Healthy4body.com I give them 1 oz a day. there is also a live doctors call every thursday night - I can give you that information as well just pm me.

I also had 15 years of abnormal paps - I just got a normal one. I have been taking 4 oz for 11 mo.

Sandy
    nma928

Answer by nma928 at 1:24 AM on Feb. 21, 2009